New York Liberty Introduce "Ellie the Elephant" as Team's New Mascot
NEW YORK, NY - As part of the 25th anniversary season, the New York Liberty today announced the team's new mascot, Ellie the Elephant. Ellie will debut at Barclays Center during the team's home opener on May 14 as the Liberty enter their inaugural season in Brooklyn.
Before the grand opening of the Brooklyn Bridge in 1883, there was speculation on the structural integrity of the bridge. To display its strength and safety, showman P.T. Barnum marched 21 elephants across the bridge. The PR stunt was a massive success, paving the way for one of New York's most iconic landmarks.
"As the newest member of the New York Liberty family, Ellie is symbolic of the franchise's long-awaited journey to Brooklyn," said Liberty CEO Keia Clarke. "While Maddie will remain an integral part of this 25th anniversary season, we are proud to introduce Ellie to our loyal fanbase."
Elephants represent strength, power, wisdom, and determination. They are also praised for their longevity, stamina, cooperative spirit, and loyalty - all attributes that are synonymous with the New York Liberty's journey to Brooklyn, the players and loyal fans.
Ellie, named after Ellis Island, will create an authentic connection to the borough of Brooklyn, Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty. For decades, Ellis Island was the doorway to the free world. Millions of immigrants searching for liberation passed through its doors in search of the American Dream. Ellie's name pays homage to this storied history, while also being a witty abbreviation for "elephant".
As part of the franchise's 25th anniversary celebration, Maddie, the Liberty's original mascot, will make special appearances throughout the season.
Images from this story
New York Liberty mascot "Ellie the Elephant"
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from May 6, 2021
- Lynx Waive Japreece Dean - Minnesota Lynx
- New York Liberty Introduce "Ellie the Elephant" as Team's New Mascot - New York Liberty
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- NY Liberty to Celebrate Team's First-Ever Juneteenth Game on Tuesday, June 22
- New York Liberty Name Ashley Battle TV Color Analyst on YES Network
- Postgame Notes: Liberty 76, Aces 103
- HelloFresh Becomes First-Ever Meal Kit Sponsor of the WNBA's New York Liberty and Los Angeles Sparks
- Postgame Notes: Liberty 78, Aces 100