New Mexico United Claims Sole Possession of Playoff Position with 4-2 Victory over San Antonio
Albuquerque, NM - In a match marred by more than a dozen cautions and one sending off, New Mexico United emerged victorious over 10-men San Antonio by a 4-2 final margin. Goals from United's Ilija Ilic, Andrew Tinari and Chris Wehan bookended a pair of scores from San Antonio's Nathan Fogaca and Joaquin Varela to send the fans home happy, and leaving United just one win away from clinching a playoff spot in the USL Championship Mountain Division.
Wehan was involved in all four of United's goals - scoring off a free kick in the 66th minute, and from open play in the 88th - and providing the initial shots that resulted in goals from rebounds for Ilija Ilic (12') and Andrew Tinari (78'.)
The first yellow card of the match came in the 9th minute, and the fifteenth after the final whistle had blown. In addition, San Antonio's Ollie Wright saw his second yellow of the match just before the hour mark, leaving San Antonio with 10 men for the remaining 30+ minutes.
The victory leaves United in sole possession of the fourth and final playoff spot in the Mountain Division. Up next for United is a weekend matchup in South Texas, as they will play their final road match of the regular season against a club chasing them for that playoff position in RGV Toros FC. United have gone unbeaten in their last four matches and sit in 4th on 43 points, while RGV currently reside in 6th with 38 points.
Despite the loss tonight, San Antonio FC clinched a playoff spot, due to Austin Bold FC's loss to El Paso Locomotive FC. Colorado Springs also clinched a playoff spot due to that result.
Tonight's attendance was 5,593.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 21, 2021
- Everything You Need to Know When Orange County SC Host Las Vegas Lights FC in Week 27 - Orange County SC
- Republic FC Partners with Sacramento Covered to Host 21st Annual Healthy Sacramento Day at Heart Health Park - Sacramento Republic FC
- SKC II to Visit Birmingham on Sunday - Sporting Kansas City II
- What to Watch Across the USL Championship: Week 27 - Sacramento Republic FC
- October 30th Is Town Biz Night Presented by American Express - Oakland Roots
- Match Preview: Republic FC vs. Phoenix Rising FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Real Monarchs Host Switchbacks FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- Rising Extends Head Coach Rick Schantz's Contract Through the 2024 Season - Phoenix Rising FC
- Road Trip to Orange County Ends in 1-0 Loss to SoCal Rival - San Diego Loyal
- Orange County SC Clinches Playoff Berth with 1-0 Win against San Diego - Orange County SC
- Roots Hang on to Playoff Hopes with Scoreless Draw in Tacoma - Oakland Roots
- Preview: Athletic Host Charlotte in Penultimate Home Match of 2021 - Hartford Athletic
- Ash Apollon Named to the USL Championship Team of the Week - Hartford Athletic
- Switchbacks FC Clinch Spot in 2021 Playoffs - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Tacoma Defiance Battles to Scoreless Draw at Cheney Stadium against Oakland Roots SC - Tacoma Defiance
- United Academy Set to Fight for 1st in the Southwest Division - New Mexico United
- New Mexico United Claims Sole Possession of Playoff Position with 4-2 Victory over San Antonio - New Mexico United
- El Paso Locomotive Command a 3-0 Win over Austin Bold FC - El Paso Locomotive FC
- San Antonio FC Clinches Playoff Berth for Second Consecutive Season - San Antonio FC
- FC Tulsa Blows out Atlanta United 2 4-0 - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Mexico United Stories
- NMUA 2021 Wrap-Up, Looking to 2022 and the Future
- New Mexico United Announces Addition of Director of Goalkeepers/Assistant Coach Nate Walzer
- New Mexico United Unveils 2022 USL Championship Schedule
- New Mexico United Announces Loan Deal for Congolese Star Defender Raddy Ovouka
- New Mexico United Announces 2022 Home Opener against Las Vegas Lights FC