Nets Knock off Ignite, 109-97
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - A double-double from Donta Hall and 21 points from Jalen Green couldn't combat a 23-turnover game by NBA G League Ignite (5-3) as the team fell to the Long Island Nets (3-5), 109-97, Monday afternoon at AdventHealth Arena.
Green notched his fourth 20-point outing of the season and Hall turned in his third double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds, but the Nets scored 28 points off 23 Ignite turnovers for their third win of the season.
Brandon Ashley scored 16 points, just one point shy of his season high, and Jonathan Kuminga added 10 points for Ignite, who shot 43.8 percent with a season low 35 field goals (35-80).
Jeremiah Martin (24 points) and Reggie Perry (21) led Long Island, and leading scorer BJ Johnson added 19 points among five Nets players to notch double figures. The Nets shot 52.1 percent (38-73).
The Nets used a 24-20 first quarter to edge Ignite with seven points apiece from Johnson and Perry. Isaiah Todd, who entered Monday's matchup averaging 18.5 points in his last two appearances, was off to a hot start with six points of his own despite Ignite shooting 33.3 percent (7-21) to open the game.
Long Island stretched its lead to 15 points at 4:39 in the second quarter on a Nathan Sestina triple, but a 15-6 run by Ignite in the final four minutes of the half cut the Nets' lead for a 54-48 score heading into halftime.
Ignite pulled within four points with five minutes remaining in the third quarter, 68-64, as Hall came alive with seven points in the stretch. This time it was the Nets with an end-of-quarter push and a 10-5 run to keep the game in Long Island's control, 78-69.
Green scored nine points and Ignite shot 66.7 percent (10-15) in the fourth quarter, but the team's attempt to claw back failed. Long Island scored 11 points off Ignite's eight fourth-quarter turnovers, outscoring the team 31-28.
Ignite meets Memphis on Wednesday at 3 p.m., live on ESPN2, and Long Island is back in action at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday against Agua Caliente on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 22, 2021
- Warriors Earn Largest Win in Franchise History with 39-Point Victory over Clippers - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Blue Coats Fall to BayHawks for First Loss of Season - Delaware Blue Coats
- Nets Knock off Ignite, 109-97 - NBA G League Ignite
- Charge Drop Monday Matinee to Knicks - Canton Charge
- Wolves Can't Hang on against Oklahoma City - Iowa Wolves
- Blue Beats Wolves for Sixth-Straight Victory - Oklahoma City Blue
- Knicks Reach .500 Following Nine Point Win over the Charge - Westchester Knicks
- Blue Coats Move to 7-0 with Win over Spurs - Delaware Blue Coats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent NBA G League Ignite Stories
- Nets Knock off Ignite, 109-97
- Stockx and NBA G League Ignite Announce Multiyear Partnership
- Ignite Unveils 2021 Single-Site Schedule at Disney
- NBA Veterans Donta Hall, Jarrett Jack Join Ignite
- NBA Veterans Join NBA G League Ignite to Play Alongside Elite Prospects