Nashville SC GM Mike Jacobs Gives Remarks at US Youth Soccer National Presidents Cup
MURFREESBORO - On Wednesday afternoon, Nashville Soccer Club GM Mike Jacobs gave a speech at the opening ceremony for the U.S. Youth Soccer National Presidents Cup in Murfreesboro.
The tournament features 40 Boys and Girls teams in the 13U through 17U age groups and qualified through the tournament after progressing through state and regional competitions. It is being held at the Richard Siegel Soccer Complex in Murfreesboro now through Sunday, July 14.
Jacobs gave a motivational speech for the players, urging them to compete in the tournament with a balance of ego and humility. He encouraged the players to play with confidence and to be grateful for the opportunity to compete at such a high level. He was thrilled that the Middle Tennessee area has the chance to host a youth soccer of this caliber.
"It's great for our state to be hosting events of this magnitude. If we are to continue to grow the standard of players in the state of Tennessee, we have to be major players in hosting events that compete for national championships."
Jacobs understands the importance of the youth soccer base in growing interest in the game across the state, and growing interest in the club. He is also grateful for the strong youth soccer culture that already exists in the state.
"Here you have first generation soccer families," Jacobs said. "You have families who grew up playing themselves, and you have children who are playing. So for us, we already have this base here of families who support soccer and participants that play youth soccer."
From a technical perspective, Jacobs hopes to help grow and raise the standards of the youth soccer scene in Nashville with eyes on the club's MLS academy coming together ahead of its inaugural season in the top flight. As the excitement builds towards MLS in 2020, he hopes the club can build up a strong base of players to eventually fill out the first Nashville SC academy, and also a strong base of fans.
"I think the key for us now is can we get that enthusiasm growing as kids get older and older, but also now can we improve the standard of those kids that they become not only lifelong soccer enthusiasts, but can some of those kids become good enough players to help us down the road," Jacobs said.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 11, 2019
- Nashville SC GM Mike Jacobs Gives Remarks at US Youth Soccer National Presidents Cup - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Return to USL Championship Action in Rematch at Hartford Athletic - Indy Eleven
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Real Monarchs Slc - July 12, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Pop-Up Pitch Brings the Heat - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United 2, Charleston Battery Match Rescheduled - Charleston Battery
- ATL UTD 2 vs Charleston Battery Rescheduled - Atlanta United 2
- Fresh off of Big Win, OC Heads to Austin - Orange County SC
- The Pittsburgher Burger Bash Returns - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Hosts Tacoma Defiance on Friday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Republic FC Invites Local Artists to Submit Designs for 2nd Annual 'Paint the Park' Contest - Sacramento Republic FC
- Solomon Asante Named USL Player of the Month - Phoenix Rising FC
- Phoenix's Asante Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- Exhibition Between C.F. Monterrey and Club Leon at Toyota Field Rescheduled for September 7 - San Antonio FC
- Issa Rayyan records his first professional brace in setback - Philadelphia Union II
- Indy Eleven Releases Midfielder Nico Matern - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital