Phoenix's Asante Voted Championship's Player of the Month
July 11, 2019 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - Phoenix Rising FC forward Solomon Asante has been voted the USL Championship's Player of the Month for June after recording seven goals and four assists during the club's run of five consecutive victories over the month. Asante's seven goals were the most in a single month in the Championship this season, while his overall production moved the Ghanaian standout into the league lead in both goals and assists.
Now in his second season with Rising FC, Asante has been one of the leading players in the league since his arrival in Phoenix. His 11 combined goals and assists helped Phoenix register a league-high 19 goals in June, with Asante averaging a goal every 63.14 minutes during that span. Tabbed as one of the preseason favorites for the Championship's Most Valuable Player award, the 28-year-old also recorded 14 key passes over the month.
"I'm very grateful and happy to be recognized by the league," said Asante. "This is important to me and to the club and will help push me and my teammates to work harder today and the rest of the season. Now we'll forget about what happened last month and we're focusing on this month. Especially this Saturday."
Asante received 47 percent of a weighted poll that included the USL Championship Technical Committee, a national panel of independent media representing every USL market and an online fan vote held at USLChampionship.com. Austin Bold FC's Andre Lima finished second on 22 percent after leading his side to an undefeated month with four goals, while Real Monarchs SLC's Douglas Martinez finished third on 17 percent after registering three goals and three assists in three consecutive victories over the month.
USL Championship Player of the Month - June
Nominee Fan Vote Weight Media Vote Weight USL Vote Weight Total Vote
Solomon Asante (PHX) 16% 8% 75% 18% 83% 21% 47%
Andre Lima (AUS) 44% 22% 0% 0% 0% 0% 22%
Douglas Martinez (SLC) 33% 17% 0% 0% 0% 0% 17%
Tyler Pasher (IND) 7% 4% 25% 6% 17% 4% 14%
Cameron Iwasa (SAC) 1% 1% 0% 0% 0% 0% 1%
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 11, 2019
- Nashville SC GM Mike Jacobs Gives Remarks at US Youth Soccer National Presidents Cup - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Return to USL Championship Action in Rematch at Hartford Athletic - Indy Eleven
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Real Monarchs Slc - July 12, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Pop-Up Pitch Brings the Heat - Nashville SC
- Atlanta United 2, Charleston Battery Match Rescheduled - Charleston Battery
- ATL UTD 2 vs Charleston Battery Rescheduled - Atlanta United 2
- Fresh off of Big Win, OC Heads to Austin - Orange County SC
- The Pittsburgher Burger Bash Returns - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Hosts Tacoma Defiance on Friday - Real Monarchs SLC
- Republic FC Invites Local Artists to Submit Designs for 2nd Annual 'Paint the Park' Contest - Sacramento Republic FC
- Solomon Asante Named USL Player of the Month - Phoenix Rising FC
- Phoenix's Asante Voted Championship's Player of the Month - USL
- Exhibition Between C.F. Monterrey and Club Leon at Toyota Field Rescheduled for September 7 - San Antonio FC
- Issa Rayyan records his first professional brace in setback - Philadelphia Union II
- Indy Eleven Releases Midfielder Nico Matern - Indy Eleven
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.