Mudcats edge smokies 5-4 Saturday
Zebulon, NC- Carolina jumped out in front and stayed ahead to win 5-4 Saturday at Five County over Tennessee.
Dante Brinkley lead off the bottom of the first with a homerun making the score 1-0.
Tennessee tied the score in the top of the third. Sam Fuld singled to center scoring Joe Simokaitis. Carolina broke it open in the bottom of the same inning. Eric Riggs doubled in two giving the Mudcats a 3-1 advantage. Then Chase Lambin followed with a double scoring Riggs.
Tennessee rallied back with solo runs in the sixth and seventh innings to draw to within 4-3.
Carolina picked up a huge insurance run with two away in the eighth. Bret Hayes doubled to left scoring Grant Psomas making it 5-3.
The Smokies made it interesting in the ninth. Fuld doubled with two outs on a two-strike pitch scoring Simokaitis but the rally would end there at 5-4.
The Smokies and Mudcats play again tomorrow at 2.00. Tennessee will start Donnie Veal (3-4) while Carolina will go with James Russ (0-2). The Smokies are back at Smokies Park starting June, 13th to take on the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx for the first of an eleven game home stand. For tickets call 286-2300 or visit Smokiesbaseball.com
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from June 9, 2007
- Dawgz earn fourth win in a row - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Vipers fall 53-37 to Florida before 4,373 at VBC - Alabama Vipers
- Wildcats beaten 70-62 - South Georgia Wildcats
- Mudcats edge smokies 5-4 Saturday - Alabama Vipers
- Copperheads Add Uncle Bob To Team - Texas Copperheads
- Blizzard Offense Explodes for 59 Points to Remain Unbeaten at Home - Green Bay Blizzard
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.