Mooseheads Acquire Top Prospect Whynot in Trade with Sherbrooke
Halifax, N.S. - Halifax Mooseheads General Manager Cam Russell acquired defenceman Cameron Whynot and a third round pick in 2021 today from the Sherbrooke Phoenix in exchange for forward Xavier Parent. Whynot was the highest ranked defenceman in the 2019 QMJHL Entry Draft and was selected ninth overall by the Phoenix. The Kentville, NS native is a left-handed shot and spent the last two seasons with the Valley Wildcats of the NSMMHL. His 41 points in 2018-19 was tied for 7th in league scoring and made him the highest scoring defenceman. Whynot also had a strong physical element to his game with 93 penalty minutes and was named the NSMMHL's defenceman of the year.
"We are extremely happy to get a player of Whynot's talent level that will help our team for years to come. He is a very highly ranked prospect and we feel he is a great building block for the future here in Halifax," Russell said.
"To get a player of Cam's ability you have to give up talent in return and the Phoenix are getting a great player in Xavier Parent. I'd like to thank Xavier for what he has brought to the Mooseheads both on and off the ice over these past couple of seasons and wish him all the best in Sherbrooke."
Xavier Parent is entering his third year in the QMJHL after being selected fourth overall by the Mooseheads in 2017. He set career highs with 15 goals and 19 assists in 67 games last season and finished with a total of 63 points in 130 games in his Halifax career.Training Camp is set to open on Thursday with rookies and free agents arriving for registration before getting on the ice for a pair of intra-squad games on Friday. The Mooseheads begin the preseason schedule on Sunday afternoon at 4pm at the Zatzman Sportsplex in Dartmouth when they take on the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. Tickets are on sale now at the Ticket Atlantic Box Office, TicketAtlantic.com and at the Official Mooseheads Shop in Scotia Square Mall.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from August 13, 2019
- 2019 Training Camp Roster Set - Moncton Wildcats
- 2019-20 Training Camp Starts Thursday - Gatineau Olympiques
- Are You Ready for a Big Announcement? - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Mooseheads Acquire Top Prospect Whynot in Trade with Sherbrooke - Halifax Mooseheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Mooseheads Stories
- Mooseheads Acquire L'Heureux & Desnoyers from Moncton
- Mooseheads Acquire Robert Orr from Saint John
- Mooseheads Issue Statement Regarding QMJHL's Return to Play Plan
- Mooseheads Acquire Multiple Draft Picks for McIsaac
- Mooseheads Acquire Forward Alexandre David from Acadie-Bathurst