Mitchell Is West's Most Outstanding Player
Calgary Stampeders quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell has been voted the West Division finalist for the Canadian Football League's Most Outstanding Player award.
It's the third time in Mitchell's career he has been chosen as the West's MOP and he went on to win the league award in 2016. The East Division finalist for the MOP award is Hamilton Tiger-Cats quarterback Jeremiah Masoli.
The award finalists are determined by voting members of the Football Reporters of Canada (FRC) as well as one ballot from each team's coaching staff. The CFL award winners will be announced on Thursday, Nov. 22 during Grey Cup week festivities in Edmonton.
Mitchell started all 18 games for the Stamps this season and guided his team to a league-best 13-5 record and Calgary's third consecutive first-place finish.
The 28-year-old Katy, Tex., native led the CFL with 35 touchdown passes and cracked the 5,000-yard plateau for the second time in his career. He completed 356 of 585 passes for 5,124 yards and his 35 TD throws compared to just 14 interceptions for a CFL-leading touchdown-to-interception ratio of 2.5.
The Eastern Washington University alum added 108 rushing yards, his highest ground total since 2014.
Mitchell was tops in the CFL with 42 completions of at least 30 yards and had five 300-yard games as well as six other contests in which he threw for at least 270 yards. His season included a 491-yard performance that represented a single-game high for all CFL quarterbacks in 2018. Mitchell passed 14 players on the CFL's all-time passing-yards list this season and now ranks 21st all-time.
His 13 wins as a starter in 2018 gives Mitchell a career record of 69-15-2 for an .814 winning percentage that is best in CFL history.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from November 8, 2018
- Head Coach Jason Maas to Return for 2019 Season - Edmonton Eskimos
- Ways to Consume CFL Divisional Semi-Finals on Sunday - CFL
- Canadian Football League to Observe Moment of Silence Sunday - CFL
- Long Earns West Division Nod as Outstanding Special Teams Player - B.C. Lions
- Eskimos Ink Briscoe - Edmonton Eskimos
- Masoli, Dean & Revenberg up for 2018 CFL Awards - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Jordan Williams-Lambert Named West Division Most Outstanding Rookie - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Mitchell Is West's Most Outstanding Player - Calgary Stampeders
- Chris Jones Named West Division Coach of the Year - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Campbell, Ward, Sinopoli Nominated for 2018 Shaw CFL Awards - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Three Winnipeg Blue Bombers Named West Division Nominees for Most Outstanding Player Awards - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Shaw CFL Awards Nominees Announced - CFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Calgary Stampeders Stories
- Simpson Signs Contract; Retires as Stampeder
- New CFL Award Named After Longtime Member of Stampeders Organization
- Stamps Look to Wrangle Roughriders
- Three Tailgate Events Make Party Bigger Than Ever at 2019 Grey Cup Festival Presented by Shaw
- Stamps Travel East to Face Alouettes