Minnesota Wild Recalls Cody Almond, Houston Aeros Sign Kuemper, Scandella
HOUSTON - Minnesota Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher today announced the National Hockey League (NHL) club has recalled center Cody Almond from the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League (AHL). Aeros General Manager Jim Mill announced the club has signed goaltender Darcy Kuemper (KEMP-er) and defenseman Marco Scandella (scan-DELL-uh) to Amateur Tryout Contracts (ATO).
Almond, 20 (7/24/89), has twice before been recalled by the Wild this season, making his NHL debut Feb. 12 against the Atlanta Thrashers in his only game played. He has recorded 18 points (7-11=18) including three power play goals and 77 penalty minutes (PIM) in 48 games with the Aeros in his rookie season. The 6-foot-2, 215-pound forward is a native of Calgary, Alberta. Almond was Minnesota's fifth-round pick (140th overall) in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. He helped lead the Kelowna Rockets to the 2009 Western Hockey League (WHL) championship, tying for second on the team with 33 goals.
Kuemper, 19 (5/5/90), completed his second season with the Red Deer Rebels of the Western Hockey League (WHL) last Thursday when they were swept in four games by the Saskatoon Blades in the first round of the WHL Eastern Conference Playoffs. The 6-foot-4, 196-pound Saskatoon, Saskatchewan native posted a 28-23-0 record with three shutouts, a 2.73 GAA and .908 SV% in 61 regular season games with the Rebels this season. Kuemper will wear No. 35 with the Aeros.
Scandella, 20 (2/23/90), scored 31 points (9-22=31) and 41 PIM in 31 games played with the Val d'Or Foreurs of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) in 2009-10. The 6-foot-2, 208-pound Montreal native played in two regular season games with the Aeros last season before skating in six playoff games for Houston where he registered two PIM. He earned a silver medal with Team Canada at the 2010 IIHF Junior World Championships posting three points (1-2=3) and a plus-7 rating in six games. Scandella was the Minnesota Wild's second-round pick (No. 55 overall) in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft and will wear No. 21 with the Aeros.
The Aeros return home tonight to host the Chicago Wolves, 7:05 PM at Toyota Center. Tickets are available online at aeros.com or by calling (713) 974-7825. Watch the game live on ahllive.com or listen to Joe O'Donnell's broadcast on 1070 AM-KNTH. Follow the interactive in-game blog on aeros.com .
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 31, 2010
- Admirals Fall to Stars in Shoot-out - Milwaukee Admirals
- Stars Slip Past Admirals 3-2 In A Shootout - Texas Stars
- Penguins Hold Off Phantoms 3-2 - Adirondack Phantoms
- Mannino, Wolves Hand Aeros 4-0 Shutout Loss - Houston Aeros
- Griffins Fall to Rochester, 3-0 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Defeated By Sharks 5-3 - Connecticut Whale
- Mannino Blanks Aeros, 4-0, In Houston - Chicago Wolves
- Devils Jolted by Monarchs, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Devils Jolted by Monarchs, 4-3 - Albany Devils
- Crunch Downed by Hershey - Syracuse Crunch
- Zats Off To Lopes - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Rage Into Playoffs With 3-0 Win Over Grand Rapids - Rochester Americans
- Sharks Chomp Wolf Pack 5-3 - Worcester Sharks
- Heat Insider - March 30, 2010 - Abbotsford Heat
- Crunch Unveil Revised Logo and New Team Colors - Syracuse Crunch
- Oilers Sign And Recall Linglet From The Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Rampage Add Summers And Szwarz To Roster - San Antonio Rampage
- Kings Ink Free-Agent Kaunisto - Manchester Monarchs
- B-Sens Assign Goaltender Chris Holt To Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Sale At Hog Headquarters, Tanguay Named ECHL All-Rookie - Rockford IceHogs
- Lars Eller Named To AHL All-Rookie Team - Peoria Rivermen
- "First Robotics" Earns Time Warner Cable Cup Grant - Albany River Rats
- Ennis Named To AHL All-Rookie Team - Portland Pirates
- Senators Sign Eric Gryba To Entry-Level Contract - Binghamton Senators
- P.K. Subban Named To 2009-2010 AHL All-Rookie Team - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Lightning Recall Admirals Defenseman Matt Lashoff - Norfolk Admirals
- John Carlson Named To AHL All-Rookie Team - Hershey Bears
- 2009-10 AHL All-Rookie Team Announced - AHL
- Forward Devin Didiomete Reassigned To Wolf Pack - Connecticut Whale
- Moose Sign Jordan Hill To ATO - Manitoba Moose
- Moose Re-Assign Taylor Ellington To Victoria - Manitoba Moose
- Calder Cup Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Texas Stars
- Mancari Returned To Pirates - Portland Pirates
- Senators Re-Assign Zack Smith To Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Senators Sign Robin Lehner To Entry-Level Contract - Binghamton Senators
- Boston Bruins Sign Four, P-Bruins Ink Three To ATO's - Providence Bruins
- Wolf Pack Sign Goaltender Cameron Talbot To ATO - Connecticut Whale
- Monarchs Sign Backup Goaltender - Manchester Monarchs
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Cody Almond, Houston Aeros Sign Kuemper, Scandella - Houston Aeros
- Florida Panthers Call For Taffe; Amerks Bring Back Hartlieb - Rochester Americans
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Admirals Look To Rebound In Final Road Trip Of Regular Season - Norfolk Admirals
- John Lammers Released from PTO - Providence Bruins
- B-Sens Release Forward Yannick Tifu - Binghamton Senators
- P-Bruins Send Two to ECHL's Reading - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Try to Maintain Hot Hand Against Americans - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.