Miners Shut out at River City
O'Fallon, MO - The Southern Illinois Miners got yet another outstanding start from Chase Cunningham on Friday night at CarShield Field in O'Fallon, Missouri, but again struggled offensively with just four total hits in suffering a 3-0 shutout loss to the River City Rascals in the opener of a four-game series.
Cunningham (6-3) threw six innings in the game and gave up just four hits and two earned runs while striking out four in what was the all-star's twelfth consecutive "quality start," but took his first loss since May, with two of the hits against him being home runs. In the second inning, Zach Lavy hit a line drive to left-center field that snuck just over the wall for a two-run home run, and Andrew Penner hit a solo shot to the short, right-center field porch in the bottom of the sixth to account for the final score of 3-0.
Meanwhile, the Southern Illinois offense was flummoxed by Micah Kaczor (2-1), as the right-hander did not allow a hit until the fifth inning and ended up coming two outs shy of a complete-game shutout with no walks and seven strikeouts. The Miners were able to get the tying run to the plate in the ninth when Stephen Lohr and Gianfranco Wawoe singled back-to-back with one out to chase Kaczor from the game, but they were unable to plate a run in being shut out for only the second time this year, and first time in a nine-inning contest.
Southern Illinois will try and bounce back in a doubleheader scheduled for Saturday at 5:05 p.m. Ryan McAuliffe will pitch game one against River City's Brendan Feldmann, while Steven Ridings will make his official return from the injured list opposite the Rascals' Travis McQueen in the second contest.
The Southern Illinois Miners are the Frontier League's most-successful franchise since debuting in 2007, winning the 2012 Frontier League Championship as well as division titles in 2010, 2014, 2015 and 2016. They have been awarded the Frontier League Organization of the Year award three times since their inception, and also set a new Frontier League attendance record in their inaugural season. For ticket information, contact the box office at (618) 998-8499. For additional information, visit our website at www.southernillinoisminers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 19, 2019
- Slammers Fall to Grizzlies in 11 Innings, 3-2 - Joliet Slammers
- Roa Drives Home Three in Loss to Crushers - Washington Wild Things
- Crushers walk nine times in 7-6 win over Washington - Lake Erie Crushers
- Early Deficit Dooms ThundeBolts in Loss - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Boomers Swing Past Windy City - Schaumburg Boomers
- Kaczor Carries Rascals to Victory - River City Rascals
- Miners Shut out at River City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Brian McKenna Signs with Miami Marlins - Florence Freedom
- Rascals Split Doubleheader with Boomers - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.