Miller Homers Carry O-Royals In Series Finale
OMAHA, Neb. - Jai Miller went 3-for-4 with two home runs and three RBIs and Lucas May also homered as the Omaha Royals took the series finale from the Portland Beavers 4-3 at Rosenblatt Stadium Saturday night.
Miller hit five home runs during the four-game series, which featured a combined 15 round-trippers, eight by the Royals (61-54).
Aaron Cunningham hit a two-run homer in the fourth and Mike Baxter continued his torrid hitting by going 2-for-4 with his team-best 14th home run for the Beavers (43-72). Kyle Phillips went 3-for-4 and was thrown out at the plate in the sixth inning trying to score what would have been the tying run on a single by Josh Barfield.
Luis Mendoza (7-8) picked up his seventh win after six innings and three runs.
After taking a no-hitter into the seventh inning in his last start, Radhames Liz (7-7) took the loss and gave up four runs on seven hits, including three home runs.
May and Miller went back-to-back against Liz in the second to put the Royals on top early.
Cunningham leveled the game in the fourth with a two-run blast, his first since being optioned from San Diego a week ago.
But Miller struck again in the Royals' half of the fourth, belting a two-run homer off Liz to put Omaha back up, 4-2.
Baxter's solo home run in the sixth got the Beavers within one and Barfield almost tied the game later in the inning, but was Phillips was thrown out at the plate trying to score from second on a single to center.
Josh Rupe pitched a scoreless ninth for his seventh save.
The Beavers and Iowa Cubs begin a four-game series in Des Moines Sunday at 11:05 a.m. (Pacific).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 7, 2010
- Express Take Fresno Finale 4-1 - Round Rock Express
- Iowa wins over Tacoma - Iowa Cubs
- Miller Homers Carry O-Royals In Series Finale - Portland Beavers
- Arencibia homers twice in historic debut - Las Vegas Aviators
- 'Topes' Youth Skills Clinic the Biggest Ever - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Torra brilliant in Aces' win - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss