Mike Leone Promoted to Assistant Coach, Greg Mauldin and Kevin Porter Named to NTDP Coaching Staff
PLYMOUTH, Mich. - USA Hockey announced today that Mike Leone (Dearborn, Mich.) has been promoted to assistant coach, while Greg Mauldin (Holliston, Mass.) has been hired as an assistant coach and Kevin Porter (Northville, Mich.) named volunteer assistant coach at the organization's National Team Development Program.
Leone joined the NTDP prior to the 2019-20 season where he served on the bench of the Under-17 Team and helped lead the squad to the 2019 Four Nations Tournament championship in Ufa, Russia. Prior to joining the NTDP, Leone coached at both the collegiate and professional levels as he was an assistant at Bowling Green State University (2018-19), as well as with the ECHL's Quad City Mallards (2017-18).
The Dearborn, Michigan, native skated three seasons at Western Michigan University before embarking on a four-year professional career that took him through the ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings and Toledo Walleye, in addition to one season with Villard-de-Lans in France.
Mauldin begins his coaching career after having spent the last 16 seasons playing professional hockey across the world. His stops have taken him through the NHL, AHL and UHL, as well as tours in Sweden, Switzerland, Germany, Croatia, and most recently, Norway, where he finished as an assistant captain with the Stavanger Oilers. Mauldin suited up for the Columbus Blue Jackets, New York Islanders and Colorado Avalanche at the game's highest level.
Mauldin skated three seasons at the University of Massachusetts from 2001-2004, where he accumulated 94 points (48G, 46A) across 98 career games for the Minutemen. He was a seventh-round pick of the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft, and it was in Columbus where he kicked off his professional career after his time in Amherst, Massachusetts.
Former NTDP captain Kevin Porter has been named to the Under-18 staff as a volunteer assistant coach. Porter spent the previous 12 seasons playing with four NHL teams and five AHL clubs. Most recently, he served as the captain for the AHL's Rochester Americans from 2017-20. Prior to playing professionally, the forward spent four seasons at the University of Michigan, where he was named captain during his senior year.
At the international level, Porter represented the United States in two IIHF Under-18 World Championships, where he helped lead the U.S. to a silver medal in 2004. He also represented the U.S. twice in the IIHF World Junior Championship, including serving as captain of the 2006 team.
Leone, Mauldin and Porter will join head coach Dan Muse as the coaching staff for the U.S. National Under-18 Team this season.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 21, 2020
- Lancers Taken Down by Storm, 5-2 - Omaha Lancers
- Storm Defeat Rival Lancers 5-2 in Second Preseason Game - Tri-City Storm
- This Year, Thanksgiving Starts Wednesday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Mike Leone Promoted to Assistant Coach, Greg Mauldin and Kevin Porter Named to NTDP Coaching Staff - U.S. National Team
- Weekly Preview: Steel Begin Preseason on the Road this Weekend - Chicago Steel
- Storm Set to Host Lancers in Game 2 of 2020 Preseason - Tri-City Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent U.S. National Team Stories
- Mike Leone Promoted to Assistant Coach, Greg Mauldin and Kevin Porter Named to NTDP Coaching Staff
- 18 Players with USA Hockey NTDP Ties Selected in 2020 NHL Draft
- David Lassonde Named National Goaltending Coach for USA Hockey
- Dan Muse and Adam Nightingale Named NTDP Head Coaches
- 2020-21 U.S. National Under-17 Team Announced