Middle innings propel Aces to victory
Alexandria, La. - July 11, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces used a three bases-loaded hits to beat the Harlingen WhiteWings at Bringhurst Field 11-9 Friday night. Trailing 2-1 in the fourth, Eddie Fitzpatrick hit a three-run double to take the lead 4-2. The next inning the WhiteWings took the lead again when Brian Fox hit a three-run homer to left. The go-ahead bomb was his 10th of the year and his third of the series and gave Harlingen the lead 5-4. The right fielder hit a home run in each game of the three-game set. In the bottom of the fifth, the Aces came up big with the bases loaded again. This time it was Jose Umbria, tied at five apiece, delivering a two-run single giving the Aces a 7-5 lead. Then, in the bottom of the sixth, the Aces hit another bases-clearing double. Rafael Ozuna hit a two-bagger off the wall in left to score three runs and give the Aces a 10-5 lead. The WhiteWings nearly came back with four runs in the ninth. Aces closer Wayne Hedden walked four in the ninth while getting two outs. So after Hedden walked David Fowler to force in a run, Amadeo Zazueta did his best Aces impression and cleared the bases with a double to center. Zazueta's double brought the Wings within two and with the tying run at the plate, Kevin Griffin grounded out to second to end the game. The Aces and WhiteWings will now travel to Harlingen to play a short two-game series. The Aces will send Alexis Sosa to the mound against Harlingen's Jorge Lugo. Game time is 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 11, 2008
- Middle innings propel Aces to victory - Alexandria Aces
- Coyotes take rubber match - Edinburg Roadrunners
- 'Wings doomed by rough middle innings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Get A Wings One-Of-A Kind Jersey and In Support of the Armed Forces - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Fourth Of July Fireworks Rescheduled - Edinburg Roadrunners
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th