MetroStars Acquire an Allocation and Draft Pick from Real Salt Lake in Exchange for Eddie Pope
SECAUCUS, NJ (Tuesday, February 1, 2005) The MetroStars announced today that they have traded defender Eddie Pope to Real Salt Lake in exchange for an allocation and either Real Salt Lakes highest ranked second round pick in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft or a swap of first round picks in Fridays 2005 MLS Supplemental Draft. The Red and Black have until 12:00 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 3, 2005 to notify Real Salt Lake of this decision.
Its never easy making difficult decisions like this, said MetroStars President and General Manager Nick Sakiewicz. In the end we had to do what was best for our team and our club. We all wish Eddie the best in his future career both representing our country with the U.S. National Team and with Real Salt Lake.
Pope, 31, came to the MetroStars on December 23, 2002 in a trade that saw the Metros acquire Jaime Moreno and Richie Williams in exchange for Mike Petke, an allocation and a first-round pick in the 2003 MLS SuperDraft. Pope had previously spent seven seasons with D.C. United. In the two seasons with the MetroStars he played in 42 MLS games for the club and tallied two assists.
A perennial anchor of the U.S. central defense, Pope turned in one of the standout performances on the U.S. backline in the 2002 World Cup. He started six of 10 final round qualifiers in the 2002 World Cup run. He was also a key member of the 1998 World Cup side, starting two matches in France.
In 2004, Pope appeared in nine games with the National Team, starting all nine. Pope scored the game-winning goal against Mexico on April 28, 2004 at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX. Out of his nine appearances with the National squad, five of them were World Cup qualifiers.
TRANSACTION: MetroStars acquire an allocation and either Real Salt Lakes highest ranked second round pick in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft or a swap of first round picks in the 2005 MLS Supplemental Draft from Real Salt Lake in exchange for defender Eddie Pope.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 1, 2005
- RSL Invites Six Trialists to Preseason Training Camp, Kicking Off Today in Bradenton, Fla. - Real Salt Lake
- Galaxy add former Glasgow Rangers striker Billy McNicol to coaching staff - LA Galaxy
- Fire Signs Honduran National Team Standout Samuel Caballero - Chicago Fire
- Rapids Sign Midfielder Chris Henderson to Multi-Year Contract - Colorado Rapids
- San Jose Earthquakes Sign Defender Troy Dayak to New Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Adds US National Team Defender Eddie Pope to Roster - Real Salt Lake
- MetroStars Acquire an Allocation and Draft Pick from Real Salt Lake in Exchange for Eddie Pope - New York Red Bulls
- MLS 2005 Supplemental Draft to be held Friday, February 4 - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Welcome Orlando City SC on Saturday
- Kemar Lawrence Joins Jamaica for CONCACAF Nations Qualification
- Injury Update: Florian Valot
- Red Bulls Roll Past San Jose, 4-1, in MLS Home Opener
- Match Preview: New York Hosts San Jose for MLS Home Opener