Merriweather Named 2019 IFL Defensive Player of the Year
PHOENIX - Arizona Rattlers defensive back Davontae Merriweather has been named the Indoor Football League's (IFL) Defensive Player of the Year for the 2019 season. Merriweather finished tied for the league lead with 71 solo tackles to go along with four interceptions, 12 pass breakups, and two fumble recoveries.
"I'm very thankful for winning Defensive Player of the Year," Merriweather said. "I'm also thankful for my teammates, and a shout-out to the Rattler Nation for helping me get there and helping with my accomplishments."
Merriweather played a vital role in the Rattlers finishing with their first undefeated regular season in franchise history and playing in their second United Bowl in three years. Arizona also was the top team in the league in scoring defense, only allowing 36.4 points per game.
Earlier this week, Merriweather was also named to the All-IFL First Team as a defensive back.
For more information or to see other league awards, visit goifl.com.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the Indoor Football League message board...
Indoor Football League Stories from July 5, 2019
- IFL MVP & Coach of the Year Announced - IFL
- Merriweather Named 2019 IFL Defensive Player of the Year - Arizona Rattlers
- IFL 2019 Players of the Year Announced - IFL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Arizona Rattlers Stories
- Rattlers Sign Three; Including Peoria Native OL and Former Rattler RB
- Rattlers Add Size to O-Line; Sign Brown
- Rattlers Re-Sign Cockrell; Sign WR Barnett
- Rattlers Announce Eight More Including Three from 2019 All-Ifl Team
- Rattlers Add Playmaker to Their Secondary, Sign DB Pearson from Iowa