Mayhem Outduel Fayetteville Marksmen in Offensive Battle
Mayhem Out Duel Fayetteville Marksmen in Offensive Battle.
Six different players score for Mayhem, as team defeats Marksmen 6-5.
MACON, GA- Six different players scored the six goals for the Macon Mayhem, as the team out dueled the Fayetteville Marksmen to win 6-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Fayetteville scored the first goal of the game just about six minutes in, as Joe Kalisz scored to make it 1-0 Marksmen. Darren McCormick answered with a backhand goal with 1:17 left in the first period to tie the game. Stephen Pierog delivered a great pass to McCormick on the two-on-one to spring him. With just 28 seconds left, Kalisz tallied his second goal on the power play to make it 2-1.
There were five goals scored in the second period between the two teams. John Schiavo started the scoring to make it 3-1 before the Mayhem scored four unanswered goals. Jeff Sanders and Daniel Echeverri scored on rebound opportunities to tie the game at 3-3. Dylan Denomme then scored his first career professional goal to make it 4-3. Stephen Pierog scored on a top-corner shot to make it 5-3 Mayhem before the end of the second period.
The Marksmen battled back in the third period, but they could never tie the game up. Jake Wood scored on the power play to cut the lead to one, but Dennis Sicard scored shortly after to make it 6-4. Despite Schiavo's second goal of the game to bring the Mayhem lead back to one, the Mayhem held on to win 6-5.
The Mayhem's second period was their third period of the season in which they have scored four goals. They have now scored 40 goals in their last eight games and have scored at least four goals in seven of their last eight games.
Four different players recorded multiple points for the Mayhem. Pierog (goal and two assists) and Gentzler (three assists) led the way with three points. Darren McCormick and Dylan Denomme tallied a goal and an assist apiece in the game.
The Mayhem allowed three power play goals in tonight's game, as they have now allowed 12 power play goals in 10 games this season. They have allowed at least one power play goal in eight of the ten games they have played.
"We have such a skilled team, and after some tweaks our offense exploded once again. We know we can score with anyone in the league, but we still have a lot of work to do defensively and on the penalty kill. We want to pride ourselves on our defense, which we have done the past two years, and hopefully we can start playing better team defense."
STARS OF THE GAME:
1. Stephen Pierog (1 goal, 2 assists, 3 points)
2. Daniel Gentzler (3 assists)
3. Dylan Denomme (1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points, 1st career professional goal)
Macon Mayhem: 5-3-2 (12 points)
Fayetteville Marksmen: 2-7-1 (5 points)
BACK IN ACTION:
The Mayhem play three games on Thanksgiving week, as they start on the road on Wednesday against the Pensacola Ice Flyers and Friday against the Fayetteville Marksmen.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2017
- Offensive Outburst Not Enough for the Marksmen - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Roanoke Drops Knoxville in Overtime, 4-3 - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- Mayhem Outduel Fayetteville Marksmen in Offensive Battle - Macon Mayhem
- Rail Yard Dawgs (2-4-1) vs Ice Bears (5-3-0) - Roanoke Rail Yard Dawgs
- RiverKings Beat Bulls 5-3 in Birmingham - Mississippi RiverKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Macon Mayhem Stories
- Mayhem's Season Comes to an End with 3-2 Overtime Loss to Huntsville Havoc
- Mayhem Game Notes: President's Cup Semi-Finals Game #3
- Mayhem Fall 8-2 to Havoc, Face Series-Deciding Game Three Friday Night
- Mayhem Take Game One of President's Cup Semi-Finals with 6-4 Victory over Huntsville
- Mayhem Game Notes: President's Cup Semi-Finals (Mayhem at Havoc)