Mavericks Sign Wintoneak, Waive Kalemba
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - Missouri Mavericks Head Coach Scott Hillman announced Wednesday the Central Hockey League (CHL) club has signed forward Walker Wintoneak and waived goaltender Zane Kalemba.
Wintoneak, 21 (5/25/89), enters his rookie season having played the previous five seasons of major junior hockey with the Western Hockey League's (WHL) Saskatoon Blades. The Flin Flon, Manitoba native had his best season last year when he finished second on the team in scoring with 74 points (25-4974) in 70 games with the Blades. Wintoneak, a 6-foot-3, 208-pound forward finished with 75 goals and 94 assists for 169 points in 274 games played over his major junior career.
"Walker Wintoneak is a player that has caught the eye of NHL scouts," said Hillman of his newest acquisition. "He had a very impressive major junior career and we want to help him develop into a solid pro player. Adding more size and scoring ability has been a priority all summer for us and adding Walker will help us strengthen our right side. His arrival is also very timely as we have two of our biggest bodies out of the lineup with Nathan O'Nabigon and Derek Knowles both on the injured reserve."
Kalemba, 24 (12/19/85), played in one game for the Mavericks before being waived. The Saddle Brook, New Jersey native stopped 23 of 28 shots in the Mavericks' 5-4 loss to the Mississippi RiverKings this past Saturday night. This is Kalemba's rookie season after an outstanding career at Princeton University where he was a finalist for the Hobey Baker award after his junior season.
"We let the goalies decide who would make this team," added Hillman. "As we stated coming out of camp, we simply did not feel we had gained enough knowledge of just how good our two new goaltenders were. Although it is still a tough decision to let one of these three quality tenders leave us, Rob and Gerry have truly earned their spots on this team and have helped us win games in the early part of the season."
The Mavericks host a pair of games this weekend at Independence Events Center. The Mississippi RiverKings are in town Friday night and the Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs will battle the Mavericks on Saturday night. Both game times are set for 7:05 p.m. Tickets for all remaining regular season home games are on sale now starting at just $14 per game. Mini-plans, season tickets and group tickets are also available by calling (816) 252-7825 or visit www.MissouriMavericks.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from October 27, 2010
- Hershey Bears Assistant Coach Visits Puska On Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Mavericks Sign Wintoneak, Waive Kalemba - Kansas City Mavericks
- Kyle Hood Returns to Sundogs Lineup; Team Releases Turcotte - Arizona Sundogs
- Bees Activate Lewicki and Smith from Injured Reserve - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Sundogs to Host Halloween Celebration Saturday - Arizona Sundogs
- Bucks Insider Replay Saturday - Laredo Bucks
- Americans Fall for First Time this Season, 6-3 to Mudbugs - Allen Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- KC Continues Their Hunt for a Playoff Spot as Road Trip Closes Out
- Atlanta's Late Goals Haunt Mavericks, KC Downed 4-3
- Durocher's Hat Trick Not Enough in Mavericks 5-3 Loss at South Carolina
- Mavericks Can't Contain Greenville, Drop Second Game of Road Trip 5-3
- Mavs Monday: East Coast Road Trip