Mavericks Sign Defenseman Kyle Atkins; Place Tochkin on IR
INDEPENDENCE, Missouri - The Missouri Mavericks announced the signing of defenseman Kyle Atkins Thursday afternoon, and the Central Hockey League (CHL) club also placed forward Kellan Tochkin on the 14-day injured reserve. Mavericks' forward Trevor Kell was also moved from the 14-day to the 30-day injured reserve (IR).
"We have been hit with a lot of injuries in the early part of this season," said Mavericks' Head Coach Scott Hillman. "We are working very hard to keep our roster full in hopes of avoiding additional injuries, and we are very pleased with the way our newest players have stepped in and fought for a permanent position with this team."
Atkins, 23 (5/11/89), is in his rookie season and began the season in the Southern Professional Hockey League (SPHL) with the Pensacola Ice Flyers. Through 12 games in Pensacola, the Brockville, Ontario native had four assists and seven penalty minutes. Prior to turning professional, the 6-foot-3, 204-pound defenseman played four seasons at Holy Cross College. In 113 games overall, Atkins finished with 10 goals and 29 assists for 39 points and 60 penalty minutes.
"Kyle is a player that we watched closely last season as he was completing a very strong career at Holy Cross," added Hillman. "He showed all the signs that he would be a strong candidate with the skills, habits and work ethic to succeed in pro hockey. We are excited to add him to our roster."
Missouri also placed forward Kellan Tochkin on the 14-day IR, and forward Trevor Kell moved from the 14-day to the 30-day IR.
The Mavericks next home game is this Friday, November 30 when they host the Quad City Mallards at Independence Events Center (IEC). The first 2,000 fans 15 and older will receive a Mavericks adult jersey. Tickets on are sale via Ticketmaster and parking is always free at the IEC. For more information on the Missouri Mavericks visit www.MissouriMavericks.com .
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from November 29, 2012
- Mavericks Sign Defenseman Kyle Atkins; Place Tochkin on IR - Kansas City Mavericks
- Cutthroats to Collect Toys this Saturday for Santa Claus Shop - Denver Cutthroats
- Westblom, Brahmas Blank Mallards - Fort Worth Brahmas
- MacQueen, Patterson Shine in Cutthroats 5-1 Win - Denver Cutthroats
- Cutthroats Burn Blaze - Bloomington Blaze
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Erase Two-Goal, Third Period Deficit in Shootout Win
- Game Day Report: Mavericks Look to Bounce Back at Wichita
- Mavs' Win Streak Snapped at Seven
- Game Day Report: Mavericks, Thunder Continue Three-Game Set Friday
- Mavericks, Thunder Announce Salvation Army Kettle Challenge