Match Preview: Toros Hit the Road Hungry for Three Points
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC (5-7-4, 19 pts.) travels north to Nevada as they face Reno 1868 FC (8-4-5, 29 pts.) on the road. The Western Conference matchup is taking place at Greater Nevada Field and is set to kickoff at 9:30 P.M. CST on ESPN+.
The Reno 1868 FC squad is looking sound on offense this season, boasting a 34-goal total thus far, giving them an average of one goal per 45 minutes played. Retaining possession is key to keeping an offensively powered attack alive. Reno is able to keep the ball for an average of 52 percent per game to help keep the flow going.
A key absence for Reno will be Jamaican forward Brian Brown, who is currently on the Jamaican national team roster in the 2019 Gold Cup. Brown has made three starts in the Gold Cup out of four group stage matches so far. He led the 1868 FC attack with eight goals before parting for the international tournament. The secondary leader in scoring is Corey Hertzog who sits at seven goals on the season and will pose a threat to the back line of the Toros.
Home field advantage has been on Reno's side this season, earning 18 points at home behind five wins and three draws, losing only once. RGV FC has had some slight inconveniences on the road this campaign, losing five out of their eight total road trips thus far. The Toros are hungrier than ever to earn their next win and bounce back into the playoff conversation as the schedule hits the midway mark.
RGV FC looks to recover after a deflating home loss to interstate rival Austin Bold FC, 0-1. The match ignited a fire inside of the Toros side as they continue the chase for a playoff spot even harder as they face second placed Reno 1868 FC in their back yard nearing the halfway mark to the season. Both teams control their own destiny as the season grows older, look for RGV to make some noise out wide and create danger inside the box, while keeping the 1868 attack at bay in the attacking third.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 2, 2019
- Republic FC Hosting Doubleheader on July 3rd with California Storm Women's Soccer Team - Sacramento Republic FC
- North Carolina FC Faces Southern Derby Rival Charlotte on Fourth of July - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Austin Bold FC at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Single-Game Tickets Are Now on Sale for Loudoun United Home Games at the New Stadium - Loudoun United FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Duo of Ricardo Avila & Douglas Martinez Called to U-23 International Duty - Real Monarchs SLC
- Steel FC's Romero Earns USL Championship Team of the Week Honors - Philadelphia Union II
- Orange County Looks to Add to Rocky Season for Switchbacks - Orange County SC
- Indy Eleven Midfielder Tyler Pasher Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 17 - Indy Eleven
- Phoenix Rising Duo Solomon Asante and Amadou Dia Named to USL Team of the Week - Phoenix Rising FC
- Fury FC Captain Voted to USL Championship Team of the Week - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Midfielder Ben Speas Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun's Sorto Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- Casiple and Marcinkowski Named to USL Team of the Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Match Preview: Toros Hit the Road Hungry for Three Points - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Christmas in July: Lights FC Celebrate Season Ticket Members All Month Long - Las Vegas Lights FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- Toros Release Updated Schedule
- Bert Ogden Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- RGV FC Postpone Saturday Night Matchup with Austin Bold
- Second Half Effort Not Enough as Toros Fall to SAFC
- Preview: RGV FC Ends Road Trip at San Antonio