Loudoun's Sorto Voted Championship Player of the Week
July 2, 2019 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - Loudoun United FC forward Christian Sorto has been voted the USL Championship Player of the Week for Week 17 of the 2019 season. Sorto came off the bench to score twice in his professional debut last Friday night as United took a 2-1 victory against ATL UTD 2 to earn its first home win in club history at Audi Field.
Sorto received 32 percent of the poll conducted by a national panel of independent media representing every USL Championship market. Ottawa Fury FC's Carl Haworth finished second on 26 percent as he recorded two goals and one assist in his side's hard-fought 3-2 win against the Charleston Battery last Wednesday night at TD Place.
USL Championship Team of the Week
GK - Tomas Romero, Bethlehem Steel FC: Romero became the fourth-youngest player to record a shutout in Championship history with eight saves against Hartford Athletic on Friday night.
D - Carl Haworth, Ottawa Fury FC: Haworth had two goals and one assist as Fury FC took a 3-2 victory against the Charleston Battery to remain strongly in the Eastern Conference postseason chase.
D - Amadou Dia, Phoenix Rising FC: Dia scored a pair of goals - including a stoppage-time game-winner - as Rising FC rallied for a 4-2 victory against the Portland Timbers 2 on Saturday night.
D - Josue Soto, Austin Bold FC: Soto recorded a pair of assists, completed 25 of 29 passes and made two recoveries and three clearances in Bold FC's victory against the Switchbacks on Saturday night.
M - Ben Speas, North Carolina FC: Speas scored the only goal, completed 36 of 45 passes and made five recoveries as NCFC took victory against Nashville SC on Saturday night.
M - Robbie Mertz, Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC: Mertz scored a pair of goals to lead the Hounds to a 4-1 victory against Birmingham Legion FC that extended the club's winning streak to three games.
M - Tyler Pasher, Indy Eleven: Pasher scored in both of Indy's contests in the past week, including the opener in a 3-0 win against Birmingham Legion FC, and completed 51 of 60 passes overall across both games.
M - Seth Casiple, Reno 1868 FC: Casiple had a goal and assist as Reno took victories on the road in Portland and at home against Sacramento while also recording eight key passes and 19 recoveries across the two games.
F - Christian Sorto, Loudoun United FC: Sorto scored a pair of goals on his professional debut, completed 8 of 10 passes and won 5 of 6 duels after coming on as a substitute in Loudoun's 2-1 victory on Friday night against ATL UTD 2.
F - Solomon Asante, Phoenix Rising FC: Asante had two goals and one assist in Rising FC's 4-2 victory against the Portland Timbers 2 while also recording four key passes and completing 35 of 42 passes overall.
F - Frank Lopez, LA Galaxy II: Lopez scored both goals, including the game-winner with four minutes to go, and completed 3 of 4 dribbles as Los Dos defeated its Southern California rival Orange County SC 2-1 on Saturday night.
Bench: J.T. Marcinkowski (RNO), Kevin Kerr (PIT), Qudus Lawal (FRS), Andre Lima (AUS), Douglas Martinez (SLC), Deshorn Brown (OKC), Enzo Martinez (CLT)
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 2, 2019
- Republic FC Hosting Doubleheader on July 3rd with California Storm Women's Soccer Team - Sacramento Republic FC
- North Carolina FC Faces Southern Derby Rival Charlotte on Fourth of July - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Bethlehem Steel FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Hosts Austin Bold FC at Toyota Field - San Antonio FC
- Single-Game Tickets Are Now on Sale for Loudoun United Home Games at the New Stadium - Loudoun United FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Duo of Ricardo Avila & Douglas Martinez Called to U-23 International Duty - Real Monarchs SLC
- Steel FC's Romero Earns USL Championship Team of the Week Honors - Philadelphia Union II
- Orange County Looks to Add to Rocky Season for Switchbacks - Orange County SC
- Indy Eleven Midfielder Tyler Pasher Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 17 - Indy Eleven
- Phoenix Rising Duo Solomon Asante and Amadou Dia Named to USL Team of the Week - Phoenix Rising FC
- Fury FC Captain Voted to USL Championship Team of the Week - Ottawa Fury FC
- North Carolina FC Midfielder Ben Speas Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - North Carolina FC
- Loudoun's Sorto Voted Championship Player of the Week - USL
- Casiple and Marcinkowski Named to USL Team of the Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Match Preview: Toros Hit the Road Hungry for Three Points - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Christmas in July: Lights FC Celebrate Season Ticket Members All Month Long - Las Vegas Lights FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.