Match Notes - SAFC at El Paso Locomotive
At a glance...
Win the Game; Win the Group The San Antonio FC match this weekend in El Paso just became slightly more significant. Following the Tuesday draw between fellow Group D teams Austin Bold and FC Tulsa, SAFC can clinch a playoff spot and first place in Group D with a win against the Locomotive this Saturday. Should SAFC earn three points, they would sit on 30 total points with nine wins. With both Austin and Tulsa on 15 points with five games remaining, their max point totals would be 30, respectively, however they could only reach eight total wins. Since wins are the first tie breaker, SAFC would officially clinch the top of the group with a win.
A Well Deserved Honor SAFC Head Coach Alen Marcina was named the USL Championship Coach of the Month for August. Marcina led SAFC to a 5-0-2 record over seven August matches, outscoring opponents 17-4 during that span. San Antonio's five wins last month were tied for the most in the league and were also the most wins in a single month for the club since they compiled a 5-0-1 record in April of 2017. The 17 goals scored in a single month also tied a club record that was also set in April of 2017. So far in 2020, San Antonio FC is tied for the most points in the league with 27 after compiling an 8-0-3 record in 11 matches. San Antonio's 23 goals scored come in at fourth in the USL Championship, while the club is tied for first with just seven goals conceded.
USL Championship Game 12 - San Antonio FC at El Paso Locomotive
Date: Saturday, Sept. 12, 2020 Kickoff: 8:30 p.m. CT Stadium: Southwest University Park
San Antonio FC: 8-0-3 (1st in Group D, 27 pts)
El Paso: 5-2-3, (2nd in Group C, 18 pts)
All-time Series: SAFC will face El Paso for just the third time in team history. In 2019, SAFC compiled a 1-0-1 record against the Locos including a 3-1 road win. The meeting on Saturday marks the first and only between the two in the regular season.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 11, 2020
- LOUvSTL: Match Preview - Saint Louis FC
- Battery Defeat Tampa Bay Again 1-0 - Charleston Battery
- Orange County SC Signs Teenage Duo, Alexis Cerritos & Raymond Drai - Orange County SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC V. Charlotte Independence - Saturday, September 12 - Birmingham Legion FC
- FC Tulsa Ready for Rivalry as OKC Energy FC Visits ONEOK Field - FC Tulsa
- Match Notes - SAFC at El Paso Locomotive - San Antonio FC
- Rising Hosts Vegas with Fans in the Stands, Tonight at 7:30 PM on CW61 Arizona & ESPN+ - Phoenix Rising FC
- Tacoma Defiance Match at Portland Timbers 2 Rescheduled for September 24 - Tacoma Defiance
- Charlotte Independence v Birmingham Legion FC: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- Austin Bold FC Match against RGVFC Toros Postponed - Austin Bold FC
- RGV FC Postpone Saturday Night Matchup with Austin Bold - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Real Monarchs Welcome New Mexico United - Real Monarchs SLC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs The Miami FC - Atlanta United 2
- Matches with Philadelphia Union II Relocated - Hartford Athletic
- Preview: What to Watch for with LouCity vs. Saint Louis FC - Louisville City FC
- Preview: Republic FC vs. Reno 1868 FC - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.