Mariners Travel to Minnesota Thursday Night
Virginia Beach, VA - The Virginia Beach Mariners (4-10-5, 17 points) will try to run their current win streak to three Thursday night at James Griffin Stadium against the Minnesota Thunder (4-8-6, 18 points). This game will mark the second meeting of the season against the teams; the previous match in Virginia Beach on May 20 ended in a 2-2 draw.
This match also marks a return home of sorts for Mariners Steve Shak who suited up for the Thunder in 2002-03 and for David Castellanos (2004).
The Mariners currently sit in 11th place in the USL First Division standings and have won their last two games. The Mariners beat the Charleston Battery 1-0 on July 16 and the Rochester Raging Rhinos 2-1 on July 23. Both teams have beaten the Thunder this season in Minnesota.
Minnesota who stands 10th in the Division and just one point ahead of the Mariners, has lost its last two matches to Vancouver (2-1) and Seattle (1-0) and has not won a First Division match since June 18. The Thunder did post an impressive 6-4 win over Real Salt Lake (MLS) in Open Cup play on July 13.
With nine regular season matches remaining and the possibility of earning three points per win, only seven points separate the Mariners from the sixth and final playoff spot.
The Mariners' next home match will be against the Vancouver Whitecaps on Saturday, August 6 at 7:30 p.m. at the Sportsplex.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from July 28, 2005
- Tickets for Timbers-San Jose match on sale now - Portland Timbers
- Sounders on Fox Soccer Channel - Seattle Sounders
- Rhinos Sign DaSilva - Rochester Rhinos
- Mariners Travel to Minnesota Thursday Night - Virginia Beach Mariners
- Two games in two nights for the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Battery welcomes Impact - Charleston Battery
- Lynx Fall to Seattle - Toronto Lynx
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week