Mariners net huge win over Atlanta, 3-1
Virginia Beach, Virginia Â– The MarinersÂ’ playoff hopes are alive and well courtesy of an outstanding performance by both Dante Washington with two goals and an assist, and the entire Mariner squad, as they overpowered Atlanta Wednesday night 3-1. The Mariners (11-10-3, 36 points) are now just two points behind Atlanta (12-8-2) and Syracuse (11-7-5, 38 points) and two points out of the fourth and final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
The Mariners came out pressuring and it paid off when Atlanta goalkeeper Joe Barton illegally handled a backpass from a teammate in the 16th minute. The Mariners received an indirect free kick from the spot of the foul that was just inside the six-yard box. Atlanta strung all eleven players across the goal line but to no avail. Mariner midfielder Jakob Fenger simply touched the ball back to Washington who blasted it into the net. Hamisi Amani-Dove struck for the game-winner with a shot to the left corner at the 20-minute mark when Washington found him alone ten yards out. Washington netted the insurance goal six minutes before full time when Jose Gomez did some splendid work getting in from the right corner and slotted him a perfect pass.
This match highlighted the depth of the MarinersÂ’ bench. The Mariners were playing without starters Steve Danbusky, Russell Hutchison and Jeff Bilyk who were in the stands due to yellow card accumulations.
The Mariners have now won five out of their last six contests and are 3-0 against Atlanta this season.
The Mariners travel to Toronto (8-12-1, 25 points) on Tuesday for a match that had to be rescheduled due to Open Cup. The Mariners are 2-0 against the Lynx this season; winning 3-2 on May 8 at the Sportsplex and then logging their first road win of the season 2-1 on August 2.
The Mariners return to the Sportsplex on Friday, August 20 at 8 p.m. against Charleston. The match will be broadcast live by Fox Sports World. Gates will open at 7 p.m.
â€˘ Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from August 12, 2004
- Kickers Bounce Back To Defeat Atlanta In Overtime - Richmond Kickers
- Whitecaps and Wave Tie in Milwaukee - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Wave United game notes - Milwaukee Wave United
- USL Fox Sports World Game of the Week - USL-1
- No shirt, no shoes, no soccer - Minnesota Thunder
- Battery to battle Rhinos - Charleston Battery
- Washington takes A-League points lead - Virginia Beach Mariners
- Mariners net huge win over Atlanta, 3-1 - Virginia Beach Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week