Lugnuts Overwhelm Whitecaps, 8-1
LANSING, Mich. - William Simoneit and Jordan Díaz homered to back a stellar pitching effort, and the Lansing Lugnuts (56-61) cruised to an 8-1 victory over the West Michigan Whitecaps (57-60) in front of 6,855 on Thursday night at Jackson® Field™.
With the win, the Nuts grabbed a 201-200 edge in the all-time series with West Michigan.
Lugnuts starter David Leal limited the Whitecaps to an Austin Schultz second-inning RBI single in five innings, Shohei Tomioka tossed three scoreless innings, and Garrett Acton struck out the side in an impressive ninth.
Meanwhile, Lansing's offense was relentless. Simoneit gave the Nuts a quick 1-0 lead against West Michigan starter Brendan White in the first inning with his tenth home run of the year, the Nuts added two more in the third, and then piled on against the West Michigan bullpen: a Díaz RBI double in the sixth, a Patrick McColl RBI triple in the seventh (followed by a run-scoring wild pitch) and a Díaz two-run homer in the eighth made the final result comfortable.
Díaz did not start the game. He came off the bench to replace infielder Drew Swift in the middle innings, his second game since returning from the Injured List, and finished 3-for-3 with a single, double, homer and three RBIs.
Jonny Butler, Lansing's no. 9 hitter, was the recipient of Díaz's biggest blows, reaching base four times on a walk, single, double and triple and scoring three of the Nuts' eight runs.
The Lugnuts have beaten the Whitecaps twice in the first three games of the six-game series, leading into the final LAFCU Frontline Friday of the year at 7:05 p.m. Right-hander Jeff Criswell (1.80 ERA) gets the start against 'Caps lefty Adam Wolf (4.24 ERA). To purchase tickets or for more information, visit lansinglugnuts.com or call (517) 485-4500.
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Late Charge Propels Kernels Past Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Johnson's Hit Lifts Dragons to Extra Inning Win - Dayton Dragons
- Five-Run Inning Inspires 9-4 Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Lugnuts Overwhelm Whitecaps, 8-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Ambush Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Fall to Lugnuts, 8-1 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Collect Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Beat By Pair Of Late Homers - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Game Information: September 16 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Announce Genesis Healthcare Heroes' Day - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Steven Cruz placed on 7-day IL & Ryan Shreve reinstated from 7-day IL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Varland ties career-high 11 strikeouts, but Kernels fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Four-Homer Night Sets Bandits' Single-Season Record - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugnuts Fall One Pitch Short of Another Sweep - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lansing Lugnuts Stories
- Lugnuts, Minor League Baseball Join with Marvel Entertainment on "Defenders of the DiamondÃ¢ÂÂ
- Lugnuts' Díaz and Hall Named High-A Central All-Stars
- Nitro Circus Roars into Jackson Field Tomorrow
- Nitro Circus roars into Jackson Field Friday!
- Nuts' Lawrence Butler Named High-A Central Player of the Week