Loons Ambush Rattlers
MIDLAND, MI - The Great Lakes Loons scored five runs on three home runs in the bottom of the second inning and went on to defeat the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 9-4 on Thursday night at Dow Diamond.
Great Lakes (63-54) grabbed control of the game with their onslaught in the bottom of the second inning. Eddys Leonard doubled to start the frame and Carson Taylor followed with a two-run homer. Ryan January was next and he hit a solo homer. A one-out walk to Zac Ching was almost immediately followed by a two-run homer by Deacon Liput and the Loons had a 5-0 lead,
The Loons added to their lead with single runs in the third and fourth innings. Joe Vranesh hit an RBI double with two outs in the third and Jorbit Vivas knocked in a run with a single in the fourth.
Wisconsin (56-60) got on the scoreboard against Loons starting pitcher Jesús Vargas in the top of the fifth. Freddy Zamora started the inning with a single. LG Castillo followed with a double to left-center and Zamora scored. Vargas struck out the next two batters and got the final out on a flyout to left.
The Loons padded their lead with two more runs in the bottom of the sixth. Andy Pages doubled in the first run, scored the second run on a sacrifice fly by Vivas, and that put Great Lakes up 9-1.
The Rattlers loaded the bases with one out in the top of the seventh on singles by Zamora and Castillo and a hit batsman. Consecutive strikeouts denied the Rattlers the opportunity to cut into the lead.
Castillo made the Loons a little nervous in the ninth inning when he cracked a three-run homer with no outs. Ashton McGee started the rally with a double and Zamora walked to reach base for the fourth time in the game. Castillo was next and he lined his ninth home run of the season to left.
Wisconsin put two runners on base with one out in the ninth and the heart of the order due to the bat. However, Andrew Shaps got a game-ending double play to finish any thoughts of a miracle comeback.
Zamora had two hits and two walks. Castillo went 3-for-4 and he drove in all four of Wisconsin's runs in the game.
The loss ended Wisconsin's three-game winning streak. The loss also ended Wisconsin's hope for a winning season. The win kept Great Lakes alive in the hunt for the Wild Card playoff spot in the High-A Central League.
Game four of the series is Friday night at Dow Diamond. Justin Jarvis (1-7, 5.73) is the scheduled starting pitcher for the Timber Rattlers. Alec Gamboa (4-4, 4.14) is set to start for the Loons. Game time is 6:05pm CDT. The radio broadcast is on AM 1280, WNAM and on internet audio with the pregame show at 5:45pm. The game is also available on MiLB.tv.
R H E
WIS 000 010 003 - 4 9 0
GL 051 102 00x - 9 11 0
LG Castillo (9th, 2 on in 9th inning off Jose Rodulfo, 0 out)
Carson Taylor (9th, 1 on in 2nd inning off Joey Matulovich, 0 out)
Ryan January (11th, 0 on in 2nd inning off Joey Matulovich, 0 out)
Deacon Liput (12th, 0 on in 2nd inning off Joey Matulovich, 1 out)
WP: Jesús Vargas (8-5)
LP: Joey Matulovich (1-2)
• Discuss this story on the High-A Central League message board...
High-A Central League Stories from September 16, 2021
- Late Charge Propels Kernels Past Chiefs - Peoria Chiefs
- Johnson's Hit Lifts Dragons to Extra Inning Win - Dayton Dragons
- Five-Run Inning Inspires 9-4 Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Lugnuts Overwhelm Whitecaps, 8-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Ambush Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'Caps Fall to Lugnuts, 8-1 - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Captains Collect Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Snappers Beat By Pair Of Late Homers - Beloit Sky Carp
- TinCaps Game Information: September 16 at Dayton - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- River Bandits Announce Genesis Healthcare Heroes' Day - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Steven Cruz placed on 7-day IL & Ryan Shreve reinstated from 7-day IL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Varland ties career-high 11 strikeouts, but Kernels fall - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Four-Homer Night Sets Bandits' Single-Season Record - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugnuts Fall One Pitch Short of Another Sweep - Lansing Lugnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Donald Driver, James Jones, AJ Dillon & More to Play in Charity Softball Game June 12
- Extended Store Hours for Snake Pit and Cyber Specials Are Set for Holiday Shopping Season with Timber Rattlers
- Fang Hosting Breakfast with Santa on December 4
- Start Your Christmas Shopping Early with Timber Rattlers Ticket Packages
- Group Tickets and Business Memberships for 2022 Timber Rattlers Season Available Now