Lucky Threes Bring Sundogs 3-0 Win over Chill
Prescott Valley, AZ - The Arizona Sundogs shutout the St. Charles Chill Friday night at The Family Arena, with a 3-0 win. The number three proved to be a winning number for the team Friday night as Arizona scored three goals, their third consecutive win and Andrew Engelage's third shutout of the season.
At the end of the first period, Arizona led the contest 1-0 after Paul Mcilveen registered a power play goal with 1:24 to go. Brandon Coccimiglio tallied the assist extending his point streak to seven games. Each team received the man-advantage and a couple great scoring opportunities, including Rutherford's breakaway that bounced off the cross bar. With under a minute remaining in the period Matt McCready and Charles Lachance were each accessed a five minute fighting major after they threw off their gloves following a huge hit on Mcilveen .
The Chill continued to dominate the shots on goal, leading the Sundogs 23-20 after two periods. Arizona extended their lead when Ian Schultz was fed the puck from Bryan Cameron and Alex Velischek for the Sundogs second goal. 14:30 into the period Chill's Michael MacIntyre laid a huge hit on Sebastian Geoffrion that didn't go unnoticed. They were each given a fighting major after coming to fisticuffs along the boards. With 58 seconds left on the clock in the final frame, the Chill pulled their goalie giving St. Charles an extra attacker but three seconds later Coccimiglio notched an unassisted goal and his second point of the night.
Engelage recorded back-to-back shutouts, his first coming last weekend against the Wichita Thunder and again tonight, making 30 saves. St. Charles outshot Arizona 30-27. The Sundogs were 1-3 on the power play and the Chill was 0-2.
The Sundogs head to Moline, Illinois for their final game of their 12-day road trip against the Quad City Mallards as they look to keep their 2014 perfect record alive. Tune in to CHL-TV tomorrow when the puck drops at 6:05PM.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 10, 2014
- Menei Tallies Twice as Oilers Cruise Past Beast - Tulsa Oilers
- Thunder Fly out of Quad City with 3-2 Shootout Win - Wichita Thunder
- Mavericks Fall to Rush at Home - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Fall in OT 4-3 - Allen Americans
- Cutthroats Zimmerman Scores Winning Goal - Denver Cutthroats
- Lucky Threes Bring Sundogs 3-0 Win over Chill - Arizona Sundogs
- Mallards Rally But Fall to Wichita in Shootout - Quad City Mallards
- Chill Outshoots Arizona But Sundogs Win - St. Charles Chill
- Mavericks Announce USA "Miracle" Weekend - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Host Denver Tonight - Allen Americans
- Shots from the Point for January 10, 2014 - CHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.