Lucas Theriault Commits to Niagara IceDogs
Niagara, ON - Niagara IceDogs General Manager Joey Burke has announced that 2016 12th-round OHL Priority Selection Lucas Theriault has signed a Standard Player Agreement, committing to the team. The 5'8" centreman played the 2018-2019 season with the Soo Thunderbirds in the Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League (NOJHL). In 51 regular season games with the Thunderbirds, Theriault collected 76 points (40 goals, 36 assists).
Theriault was described as a hardworking forward who plays a complete game. He has high-end skating abilities, and uses his quick feet to move the puck well up the ice. As a player that's tough to play against, he has a high-end finishing abilities.
He recently finished his second year of Junior A, and is coming off a breakout year. He tripled his point totals from his first season, helping his team finish first in the league. In the 2018-19 season, he finished with the most goals and most points in the NOJHL, and was rated the league's most improved player. In 19 games of the 2019 playoffs, Theriault led the league with 28 points (13 goals, 15 assists).
General Manager Burke proudly announced the signing, saying "Lucas is a great story! We are thrilled to be making this signing official. He is a guy who has impressed every year at camp, and, to be honest, had we not been such a veteran team last season, he would have been here with us. It is no surprise to see his incredible numbers in the Soo this season and I expect he will continue his trend of getting better every year, here in Niagara. Lucas is extremely well rounded on the ice, and is as high character as they come off the ice. We are excited to be adding Lucas officially to Niagara today. We look forward to the season ahead!"
"I want to thank the Niagara IceDogs organization for giving me this great opportunity! I am beyond excited and can't wait to get started in August!" said Lucas Theriault, upon signing his SPA with the team.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from May 14, 2019
- Spirit Sign 2019 Fourth Round Pick Davis 'T-Bone' Codd to OHL Standard Player Agreement - Saginaw Spirit
- Storm's Nick Suzuki named CHL Player of the Week - OHL
- Sharpe Commits to Steelheads - Mississauga Steelheads
- Dale Hunter Named Hockey Canada World Junior Head Coach - London Knights
- Lucas Theriault Commits to Niagara IceDogs - Niagara IceDogs
- Larmand Commits to Wolves - Sudbury Wolves
- Stillman Commits to Wolves - Sudbury Wolves
- Andre Tourigny selected as Assistant Coach for Team Canada at IIHF World Junior Championship - Ottawa 67's
- OHL 'On the Run' Player of the Week: Nick Suzuki - Guelph Storm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.