NFL, NBA, NHL stats

Lubbock can't catch unbeaten Odessa

June 5, 2005 - National Indoor Football League (NIFL) - Lubbock GunSlingers News Release

Odessa, TX- The Lubbock Gunslingers traveled to Odessa on Saturday, for a rematch against the Roughnecks who came to Lubbock two weeks ago, handing the Gunslingers their 8th lost of the season. In the first drive of the game, Lubbock was able to move the ball quickly up the field. Gunslingers’ quarterback, Fred Ray threw an interception to Odessa’s Larry Thompson who collected 20-yards with 11:41 remaining in the first quarter. After a 2-yard run by Roughneck quarterback, Jason Johnson Odessa got on the board first with 8:39 in the first quarter.

Lubbock knew that they could not get down early. Darrick Wallace returned the ball to Odessa’s 22. Ray collected another 14-yards, putting Lubbock in good position to score. On a 5-yard run from Devin Rispress and an extra point from Kevin Tate, the Gunslingers were able to even the score at 7 with 5:32 remaining in the first quarter.

But Odessa did not want the game to be close at all. Less than 2 minutes later Johnson rushed for 4-yards regaining Odessa’s lead at 14-7 with 3:42 left in the first quarter.

The second quarter got off to a slow start for both teams. Tate attempted a 51-yard field goal that fell short and was returned for a 58-yard touchdown by Odessa’s Thompson. With 12:32 remaining in the first-half, the Roughnecks extended its lead to 21-7 and did not look back.

Lubbock got to Odessa’s 7-yard line, but was unable to capitalize. On 4th and 3rd, Rispress was unable to pick up any yards with 5:10 remaining in the first half.

After four first-half sacks and two interceptions, Lubbock quarterback Marc Saldana started the second-half.

Much like the first-half, Odessa was able to score first on a 15-yard run by Johnson, extending the Roughneck lead to 28-7. However, the Gunslingers were unable to counter after Saldana threw an interception that was returned by Thompson for 22-yards. With 6:51 remaining in the third quarter the Roughneck’s Johnson rushed for a 1-yard touchdown, his fourth of the night.

After two Odessa penalties for a total of 15-yards, placed the Gunslingers on the Roughnecks 2-yard line, Prescott Hill was able to rush for a touchdown with 2:57 remaining in the 3rd quarter. The extra point by Tate was blocked, but Lubbock was able to narrow the lead to 35-13.

Lubbock controlled the ball for the majority of the game, but was unable to establish any type of rhythm. The Odessa Roughnecks improved their perfect record to 11-0, while Lubbock dropped to 2-9 on the season after a 50-19 loss.

The Gunslingers will host the Lincoln Capitols on June 11, 2005 at the Lubbock Municipal Coliseum. The 6000th fan through the gate will win $6000 in cash. For further information contact the Lubbock Gunslingers at 806-780-3210.

• Discuss this story on the National Indoor Football League message board...

National Indoor Football League Stories from June 5, 2005

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Lubbock GunSlingers Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew