LouCity Signs Dynamic Young Forward Mushagalusa
Off a breakout season in which he led Sporting KC II in scoring, forward Enoch "Matiti" Mushagalusa has signed with Louisville City FC, the club announced Tuesday.
Mushagalusa, whose deal is pending league and federation approval, netted 8 goals, added 4 assists and ranked among his former club's top chance creators in what was his second professional campaign. The 22-year-old was also the only player to appear in - and start - all 32 of Sporting KC II's games in 2021 after making eight appearances as a rookie in 2020.
"We've seen firsthand Matiti's abilities the last couple of years," said LouCity head coach Danny Cruz. "We are getting a player that is extremely dangerous in the final third, relentless in his ability to attack the opponent and has proven that he can be a threat in this league.
"After talking with Matiti, it was clear to us that we are bringing in another player that we know will fit the culture and has the drive to want to succeed. We are looking forward to getting him here and integrated with the group."
Born in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mushagalusa was raised in Denver, where he came up through the Colorado Rapids' academy program. Mushagalusa poured in 53 goals across 85 U.S. Soccer Development Academy appearances from his U-15 through U-19 seasons before receiving a trial with the Rapids' Major League Soccer side.
With an option to play at NCAA Division I South Carolina, Mushagalusa instead went on to sign with Sporting KC II ahead of the 2020 USL Championship season and begin his pro career.
"Whenever I watch Brian Ownby play with the freedom he has and the talent, I think that fits my style," Mushagalusa said of joining LouCity. "The club has top players, a top coach, and I'm looking forward to playing in front of the fans.
"I want to come in and make an impact. To think that I could be on the left flank, Ownby on the right and Cameron Lancaster in the middle, that's one crazy attack."
Mushagalusa's original signing with SKC II coincided with a 2020 schedule that saw the club visit Lynn Family Stadium four times. Sporting returned to Louisville twice more in 2021.
"Whenever we played there, it felt like an MLS game," Mushagalusa said. "The facility and atmosphere were amazing. I'm fortunate to now say I have a home game in Louisville."
Mushagalusa joins former SKC II teammate Amadou Dia as a fellow new LouCity signing. Others recently secured in purple include goalkeeper Kyle Morton (from Major League Soccer's Houston Dynamo) and Owen Damm (from Louisville City FC's academy program).
Those are in addition to 16 LouCity returners from a roster that last season advanced to the club's seventh straight USL Championship Eastern Conference Final. The trek toward more silverware begins March 12 when the 2022 season kicks off against Atlanta United 2 at Lynn Family Stadium in the first of 34 league games this year.
Current 2022 Louisville City FC Roster
Forwards: Jorge Gonzalez, Cameron Lancaster, Enoch "Matiti" Mushagalusa, Brian Ownby
Midfielders: Corben Bone, Tyler Gibson, Jay Tee Kamara, Napo Matsoso, Niall McCabe, Carlos Moguel Jr., Paolo DelPiccolo, Elijah Wynder
Defenders: Wes Charpie, Owen Damm, Amadou Dia, Oscar Jimenez, Sean Totsch, Josh Wynder
Goalkeepers: Kyle Morton, Parker Siegfried
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 18, 2022
- Oakland Roots Sign Attacker Dariusz Formella - Oakland Roots
- Oakland Roots Sign Center Back Danny Barbir - Oakland Roots
- Hartford Athletic Acquires Midfielder Andre Lewis - Hartford Athletic
- Republic FC Acquires Rodrigo Lopez from Rio Grande Valley FC Toros - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rio Grande Valley FC Transfers Rodrigo Lopez to Sacramento Republic FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- LouCity Signs Dynamic Young Forward Mushagalusa - Louisville City FC
- Memphis 901 FC Brings Back 2020 Defender Rece Buckmaster - Memphis 901 FC
- Hounds, 84 Lumber Reach Multi-Year Partnership Agreement - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Tickets to SD Loyal Preseason Matches on Sale Now - San Diego Loyal
- San Diego Loyal SC Announces Apparel Partnership with CHARLY - San Diego Loyal
- FC Tulsa Adds Dangerous Left-Back Gabriel Torres for 2022 Campaign - FC Tulsa
- Hounds Ink Two New Players for 2022 Season - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- El Paso Locomotive Welcomes Defender Nick Hinds to 2022 Roster - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Around the Leagues: Copa Del Rey Round of 16 Gets Going - Sacramento Republic FC
- Welcome Back to Sacramento: Get Re-Acquainted with Matt LaGrassa - Sacramento Republic FC
- USL Championship Unveils Full 2022 Schedule - Phoenix Rising FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- LouCity Defeated by Late Goal in US Open Cup Round of 16
- LouCity Defeated by Late Goal in U.S. Open Cup Round of 16
- LouCity Hosts MLS Competition in Open Cup's Round of 16
- LouCity Suffers First Home Loss of Season
- LouCity Hoping to Restore Winning Ways against Monterey Bay