LouCity Falls 3-0 on the Road to Loudoun United
Louisville City fell 3-0 to Loudoun United at Washington D.C.'s Audi Field Sunday night. The two-time defending champions gave up a goal in the 23' and then had a player sent off in the 30', conceding a pair of goals in the final 10 minutes of the match.
"I thought we started well, but then we gave up a goal against the run of play," Louisville City coach John Hackworth said. "We had a couple of players who could have made a play in that sequence but didn't happen for us. And then obviously we got a Red Card after that. Down a man, down a goal, it's just really hard."
For LouCity, the match was a frustrating end to what had been a strong week of workouts following last Saturday's loss against Bethlehem Steel.
After surviving without giving up another goal for the next 17 minutes until half, Hackworth made a pair of substitutions at halftime, bringing on forwards Brian Ownby and Antoine Hoppenot to try to find an equalizer.
LouCity started the second half with better momentum, but the strain of playing a man down eventually caught up with the two-time champs.
"We had a lot of chances to make that 1-1, but we didn't do it," Hackworth said. "It's a tough result."
Louisville City will return home to train in preparation for next Saturday's match at Charlotte Independence.
23' - LDN Antonio Bustamante - 1-0
84' - LDN Elvis Amoh - 2-0
87' - LDN Moses Nyeman - 3-0
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 28, 2019
- LouCity Falls 3-0 on the Road to Loudoun United - Louisville City FC
- Loudoun United Win 3-0 at Home against Louisville City - Loudoun United FC
- Fury FC Falls 2-0 in Memphis - Ottawa Fury FC
- Loudoun United FC Acquire Midfielder Alexis Cerritos and Forward Elvis Amoh for Remainder of the 2019 Inaugural Season - Loudoun United FC
- Budweiser Man of the Match: Alan Winn Lights up Nissan Stadium in Win over Indy Eleven - Nashville SC
- Game Day: LouCity vs. Loudoun United in DC - Louisville City FC
- Lights FC Lasso the Toros - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Reno Rolls Colorado Springs 4-0 - Reno 1868 FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops 2-0 Decision to OKC Energy FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Las Vegas Strikes for Two First Half Goals to Drop RGV FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Switchbacks FC Fall on the Road to Reno 1868 FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Blanked by Saint Louis FC 3-0 - Philadelphia Union II
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- NEWS: LouCity-Tampa Bay Winner to Host USL Final
- Eastern Conference Final's Kickoff Time Adjusted
- LouCity Beats Saint Louis, on to Conference Final
- Preview: What to Watch for with LouCity vs. Saint Louis FC
- Lynn Family Stadium Selected as College Cup Host Site