Los Angeles Surges Past Iowa
EL SEGUNDO, CA - Ryan Forehan-Kelly poured in a game-high 24 points off the bench as he led the Los Angeles D-Fenders to a 103-91 victory over the visiting Iowa Energy, Thursday evening at STAPLES Center.
Los Angeles (15-27) used a late 8-1 surge to end the first half, going into the break with a 51-41 advantage. Central Division leading Iowa was unable to cut the lead, as many as 19 in the third quarter, below eight, dropping their record to 24-16 on the season.
"We were passing the ball and working well together;" D-Fenders head coach Dan Panaggio said. "When you work together on one end, you tend to work together on the other end as well. We really helped each other on defense."
Los Angeles' Dwayne Mitchell controlled the glass, pulling down a game-high 14 rebounds to go along with 22 points. The D-Fenders recorded 34 assists on their 43 field goals, led by Forehan-Kelly's six dimes. Sun Yue, assigned to the D-Fenders by the Los Angeles Lakers earlier in the day, got in early foul trouble but was still able to contribute five assists (zero turnovers), two blocks and a key basket in the final minutes to push the D-Fenders lead back to double-digits. Sun finished the night with four points.
Iowa was led by Othyus Jeffers who netted 18 for the Energy in the loss. Courtney Sims was able to produce 17 points and eight rebounds, while Mark Tyndale came off the bench to chip in with 15 points of his own.
The D-Fenders travel to Tulsa for a matchup against the Oklahoma City Thunder's affiliate, 66ers, on Saturday. Iowa will make the second stop on their California road trip in Anaheim with a matchup with the Arsenal on Friday.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 19, 2009
- 14ers Top Power Rankings for 3rd Straight Week - Colorado 14ers
- Iowa Begins West Coast Trip with Loss - Iowa Wolves
- Los Angeles Surges Past Iowa - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- 66ers Showcase Games for Entire Family This Weekend - Tulsa 66ers
- Lakers Reassign Sun Yue To D-Fenders - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Los Angeles' Sun Yue Re-Assigned To D-League Affiliate Los Angeles D-Fenders - G League
- BayHawks Announce Silent Auction - Erie BayHawks
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
- Anaheim Loses Late to Sioux Falls - Anaheim Arsenal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles D-Fenders Stories
- MVP Vander Blue Leads 2016-17 All-NBA Development League First Team
- Vander Blue Named NBA Development League MVP
- D-Fenders Comeback Falls Short in Year-Ending Loss to Vipers
- Los Angeles Lakers Recall Nwaba from D-Fenders
- D-Fenders Dodge Vipers Comeback, Stay Alive in Title Hunt