Loons Coming Home with Series Advantage
EASTLAKE, Ohio - After finishing with the best overall record in the Midwest League, the Loons began postseason play on the road Wednesday night. In a best-of-three series against Lake County, Great Lakes stole game one 6-4 thanks to 13 hits and zero errors.
The scoring came early and often for the Loons in their playoff opener as Justin Yurchak went deep in the first inning and James Outman hit his 20th home run of 2019 in the third. In total, the Loons scored their six runs across five different frames.
A majority of the Loons offense came against Lake County starter Shane McCarthy who allowed five runs (three earned) on 10 hits in five innings. McCarthy (L, 0-1) had two crucial errors committed behind him by center fielder Quentin Holmes and second baseman Jose Fermin that led to two Loons runs. The Loons won by two.
The Loons used four pitchers to get through game one led by starter Ryan Pepiot. Pepiot tossed two innings and allowed one unearned run. The combination of Justin Bruihl (W, 1-0), Justin Hagenman and Aaron Ochsenbein threw the final seven innings. Ochsenbein (S, 1) allowed the tying run to come to plate in the ninth, but was able to shut the door on the Captains.
The Midwest League Eastern Division semifinals now shift to Dow Diamond for game two on Thursday night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. EDT. The Loons went 4-1 at home against Lake County this year.
Playoff Pitching Matchups
Game 2: LHP Robinson Ortiz vs. RHP Ethan Hankins
Game 3: RHP Jose Chacin vs. LHP Eli Lingos (if necessary)
MWL PLAYOFFS COMING THURSDAY
Sept. 5, Game 2 vs. Lake County Captains
- Pregame tailgate party @ Larkin Beer Garden
- Rally towel giveaway
- $1 Family Feast Night presented by Chemical Bank
- Postgame fireworks
The Great Lakes Loons have been the Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers since the team's inception in 2007. Dow Diamond serves as the team's home and also houses the Michigan Baseball Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity, and ESPN 100.9-FM. For tickets or information about the Loons, call 989-837-BALL or visit Loons.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 4, 2019
- Loons Coming Home with Series Advantage - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Drop Playoff Opener to Loons - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits Open Posteason with 4-1 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Clinton Takes Playoff Opener - Kane County Cougars
- Cedar Rapids Falls in Postseason Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Game Notes: MWL Quarterfinals Game 1 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Denny Bentley joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Great Lakes Loons Stories
- Go Green! Go Blue! Watch Party Coming to Dow Diamond October 31
- Dow vs Midland Football Watch Party Tickets on Sale Friday
- Loons to Host High School Football Watch Parties at Dow Diamond
- MiLB Announces 2020 Season Canceled
- Loons Join MiLB's CommUNITY First Campaign