Lockhart Lays Down Extra-Innings Walk-Off Squeeze Bunt
PEARL, MS - The Mississippi Braves (11-11, 40-52) defeated the Pensacola Blue Wahoos (15-7, 45-45) by a final score of 3-2 on Friday night at Trustmark Park in game two of the five-game series. Daniel Lockhart led the M-Braves offensively after going 3-for-5 at the plate with a 3B, 1 R, and 2 RBI. Lockhart's most notable hit came in the bottom of the tenth inning when he laid down a perfectly executed squeeze but which allowed Connor Lien to score from third base, giving the M-Braves a 3-2 extra-innings walk-off victory. After recording nine strikeouts in Friday night's contest, M-Braves RHP Bryse Wilson tied his season high for the amount of strikeouts recorded in a single game en route to his fifth quality start of the season.
The Blue Wahoos bats heated up early as they scored two runs in the top of the first inning courtesy of a line drive double by left fielder, Brian O'Grady to take a 2-0 lead.
After being held scoreless through the first four innings, Lockhart provided the M-Braves with their first run of the game in the bottom of the fifth inning after lacing a line drive RBI single to center field, scoring Carlos Martinez from first base and cutting the scoring deficit to one run. With one out in the inning, Alejandro Salazar immediately followed with a sacrifice fly to right field which allowed Lockhart to score from third base, tying the game 2-2.
The game remained tied 2-2 until the bottom of the tenth inning when Lockhart came through in the clutch by laying down the walk-off squeeze bunt.
M-Braves relief pitcher, Corbin Clouse (3-1, 2.03) earned the win after tossing 3.0 scoreless innings of relief. Clouse allowed just two hits, issued one walk and struck out four. Pensacola reliever, Joel Bender (0-1, 0.73) suffered the loss.
With the series currently tied 1-1, Mississippi and Pensacola will now get ready to tango in game three of the series beginning at 6:00 p.m. (CST) on Saturday, July 14 at Trustmark Park. LHP Ricardo Sanchez (1-3, 7.53) is scheduled to start Saturday night's contest for the M-Braves. Opposite of Sanchez on the mound will be Pensacola RHP Daniel Wright (4-6, 4.42.)
Promotions for Saturday night's game will include, Trustmark Super Sensational Saturday presented by Trustmark ($10,000 Dash for Cash and post-game fireworks), Team Photo Giveaway (the first 1,500 fans will receive a 2018 M-Braves team photo), and Sci Fi Night (Sci Fi Night will feature Sci Fi themed music, in between inning games, and appearances by Mississippi Sci Fi groups.)
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from July 13, 2018
- M-Braves Walk-Off over Wahoos 3-2 in 10 Innings - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lockhart Lays Down Extra-Innings Walk-Off Squeeze Bunt - Mississippi Braves
- Lookouts Late Inning Rally Not Enough in 9-7 Defeat - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biloxi Slugs Four Homers in 8-6 Win over Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Shuckers Swat Four Homers, Snap Shrimp's Streak, 8-6 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Offense Erupts In 11-2 Triumph - Birmingham Barons
- Biscuits Outlast Lookouts, 9-7 - Montgomery Biscuits
- BayBears Cut Deficit to One, Generals Pile on Runs Late - Mobile BayBears
- Donatella's Strong Start Stifles Mobile in 10-2 Win - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Fall to Barons on Friday - Tennessee Smokies
- Brigham to New Orleans; Lee, Squier to Jacksonville; Miller Temporarily Inactive - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Kyle Wright Deals Mississippi a Second-Straight Win over Biscuits
- LHP Thomas Burrows Transferred to Mississippi, RHP Sean McLaughlin Transferred to Florida
- Demeritte's Ninth-Inning Homer Lifts Wilson, M-Braves to 2-0 Win over Biscuits
- M-Braves Announce Series of Craft Beer Tastings
- RHP Elian Leyva Returns from Gwinnnett, LHP Tyler Pike Placed on DL