Local Miami FC Players Look Back at Memorable Weston Cup Moments
MIAMI - One of the largest youth soccer tournaments in the United States is taking place this weekend, with The Weston Cup & Showcase going on in several of the main parks in the area. Over 725 boys & girls teams are expected to participate, with teams from multiple states, and countries.
Miami FC's Tomas Granitto, Brian James and Brian Sylvestre all grew up in the Miami area and are no strangers to the competition.
"Growing up, it was the tournament everyone wanted to win," said Granitto. "Brian (Sylvestre) and I played for Weston FC growing up, so this was our chance to represent our club at the highest level and also in front of our people."
When it comes down to competition, every level is tough.
"You are going up against the best of the best," said Sylvestre. "The top teams from all around the country and also from overseas come to Miami to show what they've got. At every level during the weekend, competition is extremely hard."
Growing up, many youth players favorite memories are on the pitch. For Sylvestre, this is no different.
"One match that I will always remember was one where Tomas scored a last-minute goal in a. semifinal for us to beat Kendall. They were one of our biggest rivals and it felt so good at the time."
For Granitto, it seems like it was yesterday.
"Everyone was celebrating like if we had won the World Cup," mentioned Granitto. "It was a goal I will always remember, especially seeing all my friends and family at the game celebrating, especially since it was held in my backyard basically."
James remembers how competitive it was, but never lost sight of the importance of youth soccer.
"I would tell the kids participating to compete, but to not forget to have fun," explained James. "It's important to win, but also it's very important to go out there and enjoy playing the sport. These are memories that will last for a lifetime with friends who you will grow up and see as you hopefully go pro. Enjoy it!"
The Weston Cup & Showcase will take place this upcoming weekend, February 14-17, with several boy and girls teams from the Miami FC Youth Soccer Academy.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 14, 2020
- Tacoma Defiance Forward Alec Diaz Called into Puerto Rican U-20 National Team - Tacoma Defiance
- Rowdies Welcome Pinnie the Pelican to Mascot Family - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Tessa Dellarose to Participate in U-16 GNT UEFA Development Tournament - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Match Preview: Suncoast Invitational Day One - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Phoenix Rising Opens 2020 Visit Tucson Sun Cup with Columbus Crew SC - Phoenix Rising FC
- Jesus Ibarra Signs with Charleston Battery - Charleston Battery
- FC Tulsa Unveils 2020 Kits Alongside Multiyear Partnership with adidas - FC Tulsa
- Local Miami FC Players Look Back at Memorable Weston Cup Moments - Miami FC
- LouCity's Academy Cup Team Heads to Florida - Louisville City FC
- El Paso Locomotive Renews Broadcast Partnership with KVIA for 12 Saturday Home Matches on the El Paso-Las Cruces CW - El Paso Locomotive FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Miami FC Stories
- Paul Dalglish Resumes Coaching Responsibilities at Miami FC
- Miami FC's Home Opener Scheduled for Friday Is Suspended
- Miami FC Announces Major Jersey Sponsorship Deal with Helbiz
- Local Miami FC Players Look Back at Memorable Weston Cup Moments
- Miami FC and New York City FC Play to Scoreless Draw in Preseason Friendly