Lions Scoop-Up Running Back Travon Van; Add Newcomer Shaun Wick
(Vancouver) The BC Lions Football Club today announced that international running back and kick returner Travon Van has signed a contract with the club for 2018.
Van (5'11", 205) spent the 2017 season with the Edmonton Eskimos appearing in six games tallying 71 carries for 283 yards and three touchdowns with another 69 yards on 17 receptions. The speedster out of the University of Montana was also a contributor on special teams recording 83 yards on seven punt returns last year and 148 yards on six kickoff returns.
"Travon is a dynamic offensive weapon who also brings significant special teams potential to our club," said GM Ed Hervey. "As Wally and I have stated previously, every position on the field is going to be a competition in training camp and I expect Travon to be extremely motivated with this opportunity."
Beginning his CFL career as a member of the Ottawa RedBlacks in 2015, Van has appeared in 18 games over the past three seasons and was a member of Ottawa's 2016 Grey Cup title squad.
The Lions also announced that fellow running back Shaun Wick (5'10, 210) has been signed following an impressive showing at the team's mini-camp in April. The University of Wyoming grad wrapped-up a productive collegiate career (2014-17) appearing in 50 games racking-up 2,533 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns over 516 career carries with another 356 yards and a pair of majors on 53 receptions. Wick was added to Edmonton's expanded practice roster last November, but did not see regular season action before being waived.
Images from this story
Running Back Travon Van with the Edmonton Eskimos
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from May 10, 2018
- Tiger-Cats Sign Four Receivers & Announce Other Roster Moves - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Winnipeg Blue Bombers Add to Roster - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Offensive Linemen Added to Roster - Calgary Stampeders
- Lions Scoop-Up Running Back Travon Van; Add Newcomer Shaun Wick - B.C. Lions
- Alan-Michael Cash Back with the Alouettes - Montreal Alouettes
- Roughriders Sign DL Wilkins - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Kahlil Carter Steps Down as Defensive Coordinator, Remains with Alouettes as Scout - Montreal Alouettes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.