Linder K's 10 in Aces Close Win
Harlingen Texas - August 3, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces were hoping for a long outing by starter Chad Linder as the Aces used six pitchers Saturday. Linder exceeded all hopes working eight innings and giving up four runs in Sunday's 8-7 win over the Harlingen WhiteWings at Harlingen Field. Linder struck out ten as the All-Star earned his fifth win of the year. The Aces survived a scare from the WhiteWings as they scored five runs in the bottom of the ninth. Joel Gonzalez led off the inning with a solo homer. After Greg Sillivent singled, closer Wayne Hedden relieved Linder. Matt Lawman singled and runners moved to second and third on a wild pitch. David Fowler brought both runners home to pull Harlingen within three. After Hedden walked Amadeo Zazueta, he was relieved by Juan Carlos Ovalles. Ryan Fox drove home Fowler on a groundout to first, moving Zazueta to second. After David Cardona grounded out to third for the second out, Carl Johnson doubled home Zazueta to bring the winning run to the plate. Ovalles got Trey Hendricks to groundout to second to end the game and give Ovalles his tenth save. The Aces scored five in the third inning to get out to an early lead. Leading 2-0, Selwyn Langaigne walked and went from first to third on a single by Brian Nichols. Rafael Ozuna and Andre Marshall then hit back-to-back RBI singles. Larry Bethea followed with a three-run homer to left. Bethea's home run, his second of the year, gave the Aces a 7-0 lead. The Aces scored two runs in the first inning for the second straight night. Harlingen starter Armando Casas threw a wild pitch, one of two in the inning, which allowed Luis Guance to score from third. Nichols, after reaching on a fielder's choice, was plated by an RBI single by Marshall, which put the Aces ahead 2-0 in the first. Marshall hit his third home run of the year, a solo shot, in the seventh. The Aces and WhiteWings will finish their three-game series as the Aces will throw Ramon Portillo against Todd Lutz. Portillo has not lost a game since July 3 as Lutz has lost five straight decisions dating back to June 28. Game time is 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 3, 2008
- Broncos Drop Second Game of Series to Colts, 5-4 - Laredo Broncos
- Coyotes Lose Third In A Row, 20-6 - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Linder K's 10 in Aces Close Win - Alexandria Aces
- WhiteWings' Ninth Inning Rally Falls Short - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th