Lightning Re-Sign RW Martins Karsums
TAMPA BAY, Fla. - Tampa Bay Lightning, NHL parent club of the Norfolk Admirals, have re-signed right wing Martins Karsums to a one-year contract today, Lightning Executive Vice President and General Manager Brian Lawton announced.
Karsums, 5-foot-10 and 198 pounds, has played in 24 career NHL games with Tampa Bay and Boston. During his first NHL season in 2009-10, he amassed a goal and six points. He played in 18 games with the Lightning after being acquired from Boston in a trade along with Matt Lashoff in exchange for Mark Recchi and a second-round pick in 2010 on March 4, 2009.
Once with the Lightning, Karsums recorded a goal and five points and increased his average time on ice from 9:44 in six games with Boston to 11:40 with Tampa Bay. He also finished strong with a goal and three points in his final five games. He scored his first career goal on April 3 at New Jersey and recorded his first NHL point with Boston on January 10 against Carolina. Karsums made his NHL debut with Boston on December 13 versus Atlanta.
Karsums represented his native Latvia during the 2009 World Championships in Switzerland, recording a goal and four points with 27 penalty minutes.
A native of Riga, Latvia, Karsums, 23, has played in 176 career AHL games with the Providence Bruins, amassing 50 goals and 139 points. He has appeared in 22 career Calder Cup Playoff games, recording 10 goals and 14 points.
Prior to turning pro, Karsums played in 139 games with the Moncton Wildcats of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, tallying 78 goals and 144 points from 2003-06.
Karsums was drafted by Boston in the second round, 64th overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft.
Don't miss a minute of the action by purchasing your 2009-10 season tickets today. Affordable monthly payment plans are available for a limited time only! Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from August 25, 2009
- 'Canes Announce 2009 Training Camp Schedule - Albany River Rats
- Wolf Pack Sign Defenseman Brent Henley - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons Training Camp Set to Open September 21st - Springfield Falcons
- Lightning Re-Sign RW Martins Karsums - Norfolk Admirals
- Rampage Sign Andrew Orpik to AHL Contract - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Announce New ECHL Affiliation - Syracuse Crunch
- Hogs to Host Wolves in Preseason Contest - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Open Training Camp On Sept. 21 - Chicago Wolves
- Admirals Set 2009 Exhibition Slate - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks Summer Player Profiles: Kenndal McArdle - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.