Liberty Drop Hard-Fought Game in Chicago, 101-92
CHICAGO, IL. - The New York Liberty met the Chicago Sky for the third and final time in the 2019 regular season. Despite leading by as many as ten points, the Liberty ultimately fell to the Sky, 101-92.
New York started the game hot, shooting 56.8% from the field in the first half. The team finished the night shooting 50.7% from the field on the night and 40.7% from three.
Veteran forward Tina Charles led the Liberty with 16 points, five assists and four rebounds in the first half. Charles finished with a game-high 24 points, five rebounds and six assists. Rebecca Allen scored a career-high 21 points on 53.5% from the field and 54.5% (6-11) from the three.
The first half began with Tina Charles and Asia Durr making their first two and three baskets, respectively.
Asia Durr scored six of the team's 12 points in the first seven minutes of the game on 75% (3-4) from the field.
Rebecca Allen came in the game with 3:11 in the first quarter and scored back-to-back-to-back buckets for eight Liberty points, forcing a Chicago timeout.
The Liberty closed the quarter on a 12-5 run, up 24-21. New York went into the locker room at half up 49-42.
A 12-6 run by Chicago in the first six minutes of the third quarter brought the team to within one point of New York. Chicago briefly took the lead from New York with less than two minutes in the third quarter but an immediate three by Rebecca Allen gave New York the boost, 60-58.
In the first minute of the fourth quarter, Rebecca Allen hit a three-pointer to give New York a four-point lead. A layup by Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe on the next possession put the Liberty up six, forcing a Chicago timeout.
An and-one by Diamond DeShields with 8:01 in the game cut the Liberty lead to one. A three by Courtney Vandersloot with 4:28 in the game gave the Sky a two-point lead for the first time in the second half.
Kia Nurse scored a wide-open layup out of a New York timeout to tie the game with less than four minutes in the game. The teams continued the back and forth dance until the Sky eventually pulled out the victory.
UP NEXT: The Liberty head back to New York to take on the Seattle Storm at Barclays Center for the team's annual UNITY Day game and first regular season home game in Brooklyn. Tip-off is set for 3 p.m. ET on Sunday, August 11.
* Tina Charles finished the night with 24 points on 55% (11-20) shooting from the field.
* Rebecca Allen added a career-high 21 points on 53.5% from the field and 54.5% (6-11) from beyond the arc.
* Off the bench, Marine contributed 16 points on 100% (6-6) shooting from the field and 100% (4-4) shooting from three. This is her second perfect game of the season.
* The Liberty bench added 47 points on the night.
* Chicago shot 46.1% from the field and 22.7% from beyond the arc.
* Five Sky players scored in double figures on the night but guard Allie Quigley led the team with 22 points.
* Chicago set a WNBA record with 42 points in the fourth quarter.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 7, 2019
- Liberty Drop Hard-Fought Game in Chicago, 101-92 - New York Liberty
- Wings Take on Storm in Seattle - Dallas Wings
- Las Vegas Aces Sign Jaime Nared to Seven-Day Contract - Las Vegas Aces
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- Nets, Liberty, Barclays Center Host Bus Tour to Encourage Census Completion, Voter Registration
- Jazmine Jones Named to WNBA's 2020 All-Rookie Team
- New York Liberty Star Kia Nurse Joins TSN as Basketball Analyst
- New York Liberty to Celebrate Inaugural Hispanic Heritage Month Presented by HSS
- New York Liberty Postgame Notes vs. Dallas Wings