Liberty Clinch First Playoff Berth Since 2017
NEW YORK - The New York Liberty clinched a spot in the WNBA Playoffs today when the Los Angeles Sparks fell to the Dallas Wings and the Washington Mystics fell to the Minnesota Lynx. This playoff berth is the Liberty's first appearance since 2017 and the 16th in franchise history.
As the eighth seed in the postseason standings, New York finished the 2021 regular season with an overall record of 12-20 and own head-to-head tiebreakers over the Sparks and Mystics.
The Liberty will face the fifth-seeded Mercury in Phoenix for the single-elimination first round of the WNBA Playoffs on Thursday, September 23.
Dating back to 1997, New York has a postseason record of 27-36 (.429) and is 1-1 against Phoenix in the teams' two meetings.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from September 19, 2021
- Wings Defeat Sparks 87-84 - Dallas Wings
- Diamond DeShields Makes History as Sky Close out Regular Season with Win - Chicago Sky
- Kelsey Plum, JiSu Park Help Aces Close out Regular Season With, 84-83, Win over Phoenix - Las Vegas Aces
- Liberty Clinch First Playoff Berth Since 2017 - New York Liberty
- Sun Crush Dream to Close Regular Season - Connecticut Sun
- Postgame Notes: Connecticut 84, Atlanta 64 - Atlanta Dream
- Russell Evolving into Elite Post Player - Seattle Storm
- Dewanna Bonner Injury Update - Connecticut Sun
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.