Liberato's Eighth-Inning Single Gives Nuts Thrilling Win
Modesto, CA. - By erasing three multi-run deficits, the Modesto Nuts defeated the Visalia Rawhide 9-8 on Thursday night at John Thurman Field to keep their playoff hopes alive.
After three innings, the Nuts (60-76; 30-36) were down by a pair of runs. In the fourth the Nuts tied it. Joe Rizzo doubled home the Nuts' first run. While he was at third, Beau Branton executed a safety squeeze to bring in the tying run.
The Rawhide (67-69; 30-36) took the lead back in the fifth on a Ramon Hernandez home run.
After a couple insurance runs, the Rawhide carried a three-run lead into the seventh inning. Mason McCaughan walked two before exiting the game. Evan White drove home the first run of the seventh inning with a RBI single. Jordan Cowan scored on a wild pitch. Anthony Jimenez tied the game with a RBI single.
The Rawhide came back to take the lead again in the top of the eighth inning with three straight doubles before Spencer Herrmann (W, 3-0) entered out of the bullpen to strikeout the final two batters.
In the eighth, the Nuts plated four runs to take the lead for good. With Erbert Gonzalez (L, 1-1) checked into the game, he struck out the first batter before walking Jack Larsen. Kevin Santa singled before Cowan delivered a RBI single. White doubled home Santa to tie the game and put the go-ahead runs into scoring position. Luis Liberato smacked the game-winning hit into center field, a two-run single.
In the ninth, Herrmann was able to record two outs but exited with the bases loaded. Danny Garcia (S, 1/2) came in out of the bullpen and issued a bases loaded walk to make it a one-run game. Garcia induced a game-ending groundout by Adam Walton to keep the Nuts' slim playoff hopes alive.
The Nuts head on the road to start a four-game series with the San Jose Giants on Friday night. First pitch is at 7:00 p.m. Coverage on ModestoNuts.com will start at 6:50 p.m. Listen live online on your phone, tablet or PC.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from August 31, 2018
- Bullpen Smothers Storm in Sixers' Regular Season Home Finale - Inland Empire 66ers
- Four More Homers in Home Win over I.E. - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Giants Bats Stymied in 3-1 Loss - San Jose Giants
- The Season Comes to a Close - Lake Elsinore Storm
- Nuts Rally Twice in Late Innings for Comeback Win - Visalia Rawhide
- Liberato's Eighth-Inning Single Gives Nuts Thrilling Win - Modesto Nuts
- JetHawks Win Home Finale vs. Quakes - Lancaster JetHawks
- Rincon Homers Three Times in Loss - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.