Lexington Takes Series over Columbia with 3-1 Victory
WHITAKER BANK BALLPARK (Lexington, KY) - The Lexington Legends secured the series victory over the Columbia Fireflies with a 3-1 win on Saturday night. The Legends remain in first place of the Southern Division of the South Atlantic League.
The Legends were first to strike in the bottom of the fourth inning. Eric Cole drew a walk then scored on a double off the right field wall by Chase Vallot. Lexington led 1-0 after the fourth inning.
In the bottom of the fifth, Reed Rohlman led off with a single to left field then moved to third on a double by Jeison Guzman. Matt Morales then popped up a sacrifice fly to deep right field and Rohlman was able to score. Nathan Eaton then grounded into a fielder's choice and Guzman crossed the plate. Lexington led 3-0 after the fifth.
Columbia scored their lone run of the game in the top of the sixth inning. Anthony Dirocie led off with a single to left field then moved to second when Zach Rheams drew a walk. A sacrifice fly then brought home Dirocie and the Fireflies were on the board, 3-1.
Tyler Gray was awarded the win for Lexington tossing 5.2 innings allowing one run on three hits while walking three and striking out two. Christian James was given the loss for Columbia pitching 5.0 innings allowing three runs on four hits while walking three and striking out five.
The Legends and Fireflies meet for the series finale tomorrow, April 14 at 2:05 pm. LHP Austin Cox (0-1, 1.80 ERA) will be on the mound for Lexington to face Columbia's Dedniel Nunez.
The Legends, a Class A affiliate of the Kansas City Royals and member of the South Atlantic League, play all home games at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington, Kentucky. For ticket information, call (859) 422-7867 or visit LexingtonLegends.com.
Images from this story
Lexington Legends pitcher Tyler Gray
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 13, 2019
- Greenville Escapes with Narrow 6-5 Victory over Rome - Rome Braves
- Encarnacion Slam Caps Stunning Shorebird Comeback - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Terry Delivers Walk-Off Double in Extras - Hickory Crawdads
- Claws Lose No-Hitter in 9th, Fall on Walk-Off Grand Slam - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Suns Split Doubleheader with Tourists - Hagerstown Suns
- Lexington Takes Series over Columbia with 3-1 Victory - Lexington Legends
- RiverDogs Shut out for Second Time in Three Games by Greensboro - Charleston RiverDogs
- Drive Ends Skid with 6-5 Victory at Rome Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Mauricio Extends Hit Streak to Seven Straight on Saturday in Lexington - Columbia Fireflies
- Asheville and Hagerstown Split Double-Header - Asheville Tourists
- Corry Dazzles But Augusta Offense Struggles - Augusta GreenJackets
- Moyers Stifles GreenJackets in 2-1 Victory - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - April 13 at Lexington (Game 9) - Columbia Fireflies
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Game Notes (April 13) - West Virginia Power
- Braves Shift Drive into Neutral in 5-0 Win - Rome Braves
- Plate Discipline Lifts Augusta to 9-3 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Kelenic Homers as Power Falls to Augusta Friday - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Brooks Conrad Returns to Manage Reigning South Atlantic League Champions
- Lexington Legends Receive Bob Freitas Award as Top Single A Organization by Baseball America
- Tickets on Sale Now for Nitro Circus and First Athletes Announced
- Lexington Legends Praise Congressional Effort
- Lexington Legends and Bowling Green Hot Rods Announce 2020 Game at Whitaker Bank Ballpark