Leach Returns to South Carolina After Earning AHL Contract
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears announced today that the club has signed defenseman Joey Leach to an American Hockey League contract for the remainder of the 2018-19 season. Leach has been assigned to Hershey's ECHL affiliate, the South Carolina Stingrays.
Leach, 27, has skated in 17 games with Hershey this season, registering one assist, six penalty minutes, and a +1 rating. The defender is set to return to action after suffering an upper-body injury on Feb. 2 versus Lehigh Valley. He joined Hershey on a professional tryout agreement on Dec. 18 after skating on an AHL deal with the Bears during parts of the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons.
The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Saskatchewan native returns to South Carolina where he serves as team captain. With the Stingrays this season, Leach collected 20 points (two goals and 18 assists) and 53 penalty minutes in 28 games.
The Bears return to action tomorrow as they host Toronto at the Giant Center at 7 p.m. It's Fairview Golf Course Bears Logo Chip Night for the first 3,000 fans. It's also Scout Night, and Dietz & Watson Dollar Dog Night. Ticket information is available at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 14, 2019
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Defenseman Matthew Spencer to Syracuse Crunch, Oleg Sosunov to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Blues Assign Jordan Kyrou to Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Ottawa Recalls Brannstrom, Goloubef - Belleville Senators
- Moose Release Brent Pedersen - Manitoba Moose
- T-Birds Look to Close Season Series against Comets with Win in Utica - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Blackhawks Reassign Delia, Hogs Recall Tomkins - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Celebrate Women's Hockey on March 24 - Toronto Marlies
- How to Own the Chicago Wolves' St. Patrick's Day Jerseys and Help Easterseals - Chicago Wolves
- Forney Recalled from Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Roadrunners University of Arizona Night to be Held April 12 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Leach Returns to South Carolina After Earning AHL Contract - Hershey Bears
- Comets Sign Dyson Stevenson to PTO - Utica Comets
- Special Screening of "The Russian Five" to Benefit the Griffins Youth Foundation - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hogs Return Home for Dino Night Saturday, Golf Hat Giveaway Sunday - Rockford IceHogs
- Flyers Recall F Justin Bailey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Reign Rally Nets OT Point - Ontario Reign
- Gulls Get back on Track, Beat Bakersfield in OT - San Diego Gulls
- Condors Gain Point on Division Lead in 5-4 OT Loss - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Open Set with Texas with Victory - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Push Sound Tigers to the Brink in Game 3 Win
- Bears Sign Forward Andrew Cherniwchan to PTO
- Game Preview: Sound Tigers at Bears, 7 p.m. (Atlantic Division Semifinals - Game 3)
- Capitals Re-Assign Goaltender Ilya Samsonov to Hershey
- Vanecek Shuts out Bridgeport, Series Tied 1-1