Late offensive flurry propels Aces
Alexandria, La. - July 10, 2008 - The Alexandria Aces combined for seven runs in the seventh and eighth innings to beat the Harlingen WhiteWings 11-3 Thursday night at Bringhurst Field. Leading 4-3 entering the seventh, the Aces tacked on four runs to double their score. Rafael Ozuna singled home Palmer Karr Jr. after Luis Guance scored on a wild pitch to give the Aces a three-run lead. Alexandria scored two more on a two-run double to left by Madison Edwards to give the Aces an 8-3 lead. Alexandria scored three more in the eighth. After Guance brought home Eddie Fitzpatrick, who doubled to lead off the inning, with a groundout, Selwyn Langaigne doubled home Guance. A run-scoring fielder's choice by Andre Marshall gave the Aces an 11-3 lead going into the ninth. B.J. Litchfield threw a scoreless ninth to seal the win. The Aces got out of a jam in the top of the seventh thanks to Juan Carlos Ovalles. Aces starter Ramon Portillo left the game with runners on first and third and one out with the Aces leading by one. Ovalles came in to get out of the situation, but walked Amadeo Zazueta to load the bases and heighten the drama. Then, the All-Star reliever struck out Kevin Griffin and David Cardona to preserve the lead. Luis Guance gave the Aces an early lead with a solo home run in the first, his eighth of the year. The Wings tied it up in the top of the second when Ryan Fox hit a leadoff homer to left. The solo shot, his ninth of the season, was his second of the series. Portillo earned his fifth win by pitching 6.1 innings, striking out seven and giving up just three runs, two earned. The Aces and WhiteWings will finish their series on Friday as Robbie Wooley for the Aces tries to have second consecutive solid outing against Harlingen's Bryan Herrera, who is making his first start in the United League. Game time is 7:05.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 10, 2008
- Colts come from behind to win on Torres HR - San Angelo Colts
- Late offensive flurry propels Aces - Alexandria Aces
- Coyotes Rally Falls Short - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Aces Score Late to Beat WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Broncos lose another heartbreaker - Laredo Broncos
- Coyotes Reschedule 4th Of July Celebration For Saturday July 12th - Edinburg Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th