Las Vegas Selects Notre Dame Guard Jackie Young with First Pick in 2019 WNBA Draft
New York, NY - After months of speculation, the wait finally ended at 4:15 pm PT today when WNBA Chief Operating Officer Christin Hedgepethstrode to the podium at Nike Headquarters in New York City and announced "With the first pick in the 2019 WNBA Draft, the Las Vegas Aces select ... Notre Dame guard, Jackie Young."
One of the few triple-threat offensive players in the nation, Young was one of just four collegians in 2018-19 to average more than 14.0 points, 7.0 rebounds and 6.0 assists per game. She also ranked third in the nation in shooting percentage by a guard, and made 45.2 percent of her three-pointers for good measure.
The Princeton, Indiana native was named an AP All-American this season, and also earned ACC Tournament MVP honors, averaging 19.3 points, 10.0 rebounds and 6.0 assists in the three games.
"As we continue to build the Aces into a championship contender, one need we identified was strength and athleticism on the perimeter," said Las Vegas General Manager Dan Padover. "Jackie will provide that immediately on both ends of the floor. She is also the consummate teammate and a smart basketball player. She will do all of the little things that winning teams need, and has all the tools on the offensive end to be a difficult matchup in the WNBA for years to come."
Young was a late entry into the draft pool, declaring her intention to forgo her final year of eligibility just two days ago. As a draft-eligible junior, she had 24 hours after her final game to announce her decision, and her final game happened to be the national championship game Sunday evening.
JACKIE YOUNG CAREER COLLEGIATE STATISTICS
G-GS Min-MPG FG-FGA FG% 3G-3GA 3G% FT-FTA FT% OR DR REB RPG PF-DQ A TO B S Pts PPG
2016-17 33-0 707-21.4 88-190 .463 11-29 .379 53-66 .803 66 86 152 4.6 77-0 47 48 9 27 240 7.3
2017-18 38-38 1308-34.4 212-408 .520 11-39 .282 116-147 .789 102 150 252 6.6 68-0 139 93 18 52 551 14.5
2018-19 38-37 1225-32.2 211-400 .528 14-31 .452 124-158 .785 102 179 281 7.4 55-0 192 73 16 49 560 14.7
Totals 109-75 3240- 29.7 511-998 .512 36-99 .364 293-371 .790 270 415 685 6.3 200-0 378 214 43 128 1351 12.5
The Aces have had the number one overall pick four times in the history of the franchise- 1998, Margo Dydek (Utah Starzz); 2017, Kelsey Plum (San Antonio Stars); 2018, A'ja Wilson (Las Vegas Aces); and 2019, Jackie Young (Las Vegas Aces).
Jackie Young is the second Notre Dame player to be selected with the number one overall pick in the WNBA Draft, joining Jewell Loyd, whom the Seattle Storm selected in 2015.
Jackie Young is the second Notre Dame player that the Aces have selected in the WNBA Draft- 2014, Kayla McBride, No. 3 overall (San Antonio Stars).
Jackie Young is the 15th Notre Dame player to be selected in the WNBA Draft.
Year Round Pick Player Team
2019 1 1 Jackie Young Las Vegas Aces
2017 2 14 Lindsay Allen New York Liberty
2015 1 1 Jewell Loyd Seattle Storm
2014 1 3 Kayla McBride San Antonio Stars
2014 1 9 Natalie Achonwa Indiana Fever
2013 1 3 Skylar Diggins Tulsa Shock
2012 1 3 Devereaux Peters Minnesota Lynx
2012 1 8 Natalie Novosel Washington Mystics
2008 3 43 Charel Allen Sacramento Monarchs
2006 3 31 Megan Duffy Minnesota Lynx
2005 2 17 Jacqueline Batteast Minnesota Lynx
2002 3 47 Ericka Haney Detroit Shock
2001 1 5 Ruth Riley Miami Sol
2001 2 19 Niele Ivey Indiana Fever
2001 3 48 Kelley Siemon Los Angeles Sparks
Bill Laimbeer, a Notre Dame grad, has coached five former Notre Dame players in his WNBA career- Lindsay Allen (2018 Las Vegas Aces), Kayla McBride (2018 Las Vegas Aces), Jacqueline Batteast (2006), Ruth Riley (2003-06, Detroit Shock), Niele Ivey (2005, Detroit Shock). Jackie Young will be the sixth. That is a record. Or at least I am claiming it is.
Las Vegas tips off its second season of WNBA competition at Mandalay Bay Events Center on Sunday, May 26 at 5 pm PT. Season ticket memberships, group tickets, flex plans and single game tickets may be purchased at LasVegasAces.com. For additional information about the Aces please visit LasVegasAces.com or follow on social media via Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from April 10, 2019
- Chicago Sky Select Katie Lou Samuelson with No. 4 Overall Pick in WNBA Draft 2019 - Chicago Sky
- Las Vegas Selects Jackie Young with First Overall Pick in WNBA Draft 2019 - WNBA
- Sun Select Three in 2019 WNBA Draft - Connecticut Sun
- Liberty Selects Louisville Guard Asia Durr 2nd Overall in WNBA Draft - New York Liberty
- Mercury Adds Three Top-13 Picks, Four Players Overall During 2019 WNBA Draft - Phoenix Mercury
- Mystics Select Kiara Leslie in 2019 WNBA Draft - Washington Mystics
- Las Vegas Selects Notre Dame Guard Jackie Young with First Pick in 2019 WNBA Draft - Las Vegas Aces
- Fever Select Mississippi St. Center Teaira McCowan with No. 3 Pick of WNBA Draft - Indiana Fever
- HSS Becomes First-Ever Jersey Patch Partner of the New York Liberty - New York Liberty
- Dallas Wings and Texas Capital Bank Announce Marquee Partnership - Dallas Wings
- WNBA and Nike Reveal 2019 WNBA Uniforms - WNBA
- Salesforce to Become New Jersey Partner as Part of Multi-Year Sponsorship - Indiana Fever
- Connecticut Sun Announces Medical Partnership with Yale New Haven Health - Connecticut Sun
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aces Stories
- Las Vegas Aces' A'ja Wilson to Serve as Grand Marshal for 15th Annual Las Vegas Great Santa Run
- Las Vegas Aces and Zappos.Com Partner with Area High School Girls Basketball Teams for Lace up Mentorship Program
- Aces, A'ja Wilson Team up with NIKE to Grow the Game for Girls in Las Vegas
- October 17, 2019 Proclaimed "The Las Vegas Aces Day in the City of Las Vegas"
- Las Vegas Aces Jackie Young Scores Game-High 9, But USAB Falls, 14-12, to Brazil in Quarterfinals