LAFC Plays to 1-1 Draw with Houston Dynamo FC in Front of Sellout Crowd at Banc of California Stadium
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) played to a 1-1 draw with Houston Dynamo FC on Saturday night in front of a sellout crowd of 22,043 at Banc of California Stadium. Jose Cifuentes scored LAFC's only goal, his second of the season, early in the second half, but Maximiliano Urruti equalized for the visitors just eight minutes later and the game would end 1-1. With the tie, LAFC is now 2-3-3 on the season with nine points.
The credential application for the upcoming home match on June 23 against FC Dallas is now open - click here. The deadline to apply for the match is Tuesday, June 22 at 12:00 p.m. PT. No applications will be accepted after this deadline.
After a scoreless first half, LAFC nearly took the lead in the 50th minute when Cifuentes had a long range shot tipped over the bar by Houston goalkeeper Marko Maric. From the ensuing corner kick, Carlos Vela found Cifuentes with his cross and the Ecuadoran was able to prod the ball over the line from close range, giving LAFC a 1-0 lead.
That lead would last for just eight minutes before the Dynamo equalized on a counterattack. Fafa Piccault ran at the LAFC defense before finding Urruti open inside the box, and his shot, which was Houston's first of the game, beat the dive of LAFC goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega to even the score at 1-1.
Despite a series of chances over the final 30 minutes, LAFC were unable to find a second goal and were forced to settle for a draw in front of the first full capacity crowd at the stadium since March, 2020.
LAFC returns to action on Wednesday, June 23 when it hosts FC Dallas at Banc of California Stadium. That game kicks off at 7:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast locally on Bally's Sports and Estrella TV.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 20, 2021
- Union come from behind to score twice in final minutes of match to take a point on the road - Philadelphia Union
- Atlanta United Draws 2-2 vs. Philadelphia Union - Atlanta United FC
- Chicago Fire FC to Start Four-Game Homestand at Soldier Field on Wednesday - Chicago Fire FC
- Takeaways: Rapids Earn Another Team-Wide Win - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Plays to 1-1 Draw with Houston Dynamo FC in Front of Sellout Crowd at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Top Sporting Kansas City 2-1 in Come Back Win - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Suffers 4-1 Home Loss to Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Signs Daniel Crisostomo from Las Vegas Lights
- Four LAFC Players Selected to 2021 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target
- LAFC Takes on Sporting Kansas City Tomorrow, August 4
- LAFC Defender Eddie Segura Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery