Lacy's Strong Debut, Big Seventh Drives Myrtle Beach to Victory
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. - Rollie Lacy was brilliant on the hill in his Myrtle Beach Pelicans debut against the Carolina Mudcats on Wednesday night as the Birds bested the Muddies 6-3 from TicketReturn.Com Field at Pelicans Ballpark.
Lacy (1-0) began his High-A career by recording his first six outs via the strikeout for the Pelicans (42-49, 8-13). He finished with seven whiffs through 5.1 innings while just ceding one run on five hits.
With the game scoreless in the fourth inning, Myrtle Beach loaded the bases against Muddies (46-44, 12-8) reliever Nathan Kirby (2-5). Andruw Monasterio singled through the right side to bring home Jared Young and make it 1-0. Luis Ayala then sent Wladimir Galindo home on an RBI fielder's choice to give the Birds a 2-0 advantage.
In the sixth, the Muddies drew within a run when Devin Hairston scored on Weston Wilson's RBI infield single. However, the Pelicans answered right back with a D.J. Wilson RBI double in the bottom half of the inning, making it 3-1 Pelicans.
The Birds filled the bases again in the seventh for Monasterio and he delivered a walk to drive another run. Roberto Caro bounced a base hit to center, plating two and giving the Pelicans a 6-1 lead.
The Mudcats added two on in the eighth on a throwing error by the Pelicans that scored Joantgel Segovia and Wilson's sacrifice fly.
Young reached four times for the Birds with two singles, a walk and a hit by pitch.
The Pelicans conclude their four-game series against Carolina on Thursday with a 7:05 p.m. first pitch. RHP Cory Abbott (1-4, 4.88 ERA) starts for Myrtle Beach against Mudcats RHP Braden Webb (5-5, 3.63 ERA). Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on MiLB.tv, MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/Broadcast, the MiLB First Pitch app and TuneIn.
Thursday's contest is a Thirsty Thursday with $1 12 oz. Bud & Bud Light drafts, $2 16 oz. cans and half-price Duplin Wine from 6-8 p.m.
The 2018 season is the 20th season for the Pelicans franchise and fourth as the Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. For tickets visit MyrtleBeachPelicans.com/tickets, call (843) 918-6000, or visit the Pelicans Box Office.
Images from this story
Myrtle Beach Pelicans pitcher Rollie Lacy
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 11, 2018
- Wilmington Wins Back and Forth Marathon against Keys - Frederick Keys
- Lacy's Strong Debut, Big Seventh Drives Myrtle Beach to Victory - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Walk-Off Winston-Salem 5-4 Wednesday - Salem Red Sox
- Morgan Named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Potomac Wins Tight Battle 2-1 - Potomac Nationals
- Offense Held in Check, Hillcats Edged 2-1 by P-Nats Wednesday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Offense Quieted in Loss to the Astros - Down East Wood Ducks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 11 at Salem) - Winston-Salem Dash
- July 11 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats to Celebrate Ode to the Potato Night on Saturday, July 14th with Michael A. Tater (Taylor) Statue Giveaway - Potomac Nationals
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, July 11 vs. Carolina - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- C P.J. Higgins has been assigned to Double-A Tennessee - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Keys Extend Player Development Contract with Orioles - Frederick Keys
- LHP Tanner Banks promoted to Double-A Birmingham - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Pelicans Host "Walk to Defeat ALS" for the First Time
- Pelicans to Host First-Annual Charity Fishing Derby
- Myrtle Beach Saturday Home Broadcasts Return to the CW21
- Lou Piniella Appearance, Cubs-Themed Giveaway Highlight Third-Annual Cubs-A-Palooza
- Brian Jordan Appearance, Snitker Jersey Giveaway Highlight Braves Weekend