LA Galaxy Part Ways with Designated Player Javier "Chicharito" Hernández
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy announced today that the club has parted ways with forward Javier "Chicharito" Hernández, who is out of contract and will not return to the Galaxy for the 2024 campaign. With the departure of Hernández, the Galaxy have opened up a Designated Roster slot for the 2024 season.
"We are grateful to Javier for his dedication and contributions to the LA Galaxy," said LA Galaxy Head Coach and Sporting Director Greg Vanney. "In four seasons with the Galaxy, Javier was a passionate leader for our club on and off the field. We wish him all the best moving forward."
In 82 career games played (71 starts) in four seasons played (2020-23) across all competitions for the LA Galaxy, Hernández tallied 39 goals and six assists. Notably, Chicharito ranks seventh all-time in club history with 38 goals scored in 74 career regular-season appearances for the Galaxy. A two-time MLS All-Star (2021, 2022), Hernández was named the LA Galaxy Player of the Year twice in 2021 and 2022, claimed the club's Golden Boot award in back-to-back seasons in 2021 and 2022 and was recognized as the Galaxy's Humanitarian of the Year during the 2022 season. Last season, Hernández led the club and was ranked tied for fourth in MLS with 18 goals scored and added two assists in 32 regular-season games played (20 starts).
Hernández last played for the LA Galaxy during the club's 2023 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal match against Real Salt Lake on June 7 when he sustained a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 3, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Ready for Intensity, Desperation in Elimination Game at Red Bull Arena - FC Cincinnati
- LAFC Travels to Face Vancouver in Game 2 of the Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Best-Of-3 Series, Sunday, November 5 - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Travels to FC Dallas Saturday for Match Two of Its Round One Series - Seattle Sounders FC
- Sporting KC Hosts St. Louis on Sunday in Playoff Rematch - Sporting Kansas City
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decision Announced - MLS
- LA Galaxy Part Ways with Designated Player Javier "Chicharito" Hernández - LA Galaxy
- Midfielder Lassi Lappalainen Successfully Undergoes Surgery for Sports Hernia - Club de Foot Montreal
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires $100,000 in 2024 General Allocation Money from FC Dallas - Chicago Fire FC
- Need to Know: Audi 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Best-Of-3 Series Game 2 - MLS
- Historic U-17 World Cup Call up Headlines Eventful October - Charlotte FC
- FC Cincinnati Travel to Red Bull Arena with Chance to Advance in MLS Cup Playoffs - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC Spectator Information: The Warmup Set to be Biggest Pre-Match Party of the Year - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New York Hosts FC Cincinnati in Game 2 of the Best-Of-Three Round One Series on Saturday Night at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- New York City Football Club to Play Friendly against Inter Miami CF - New York City FC
- Noche d'Or: Inter Miami CF to Celebr8 and Present Lionel Messi's Eighth Ballon d'Or in November 10 Friendly - Inter Miami CF
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Defeat San Jose Earthquakes 3-1 at PayPal Park on Saturday Night
- LA Galaxy Square off against San Jose Earthquakes at PayPal Park Tonight, Saturday, March 2
- Delgado Appeal Successful
- LA Galaxy Earn 1-1 Draw Against Inter Miami CF Before Regular-Season Record Attendance of 27,642 Fans at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday Night
- LA Galaxy Play Host to Inter Miami CF at Dignity Health Sports Park Tonight, Sunday, February 25