LA Galaxy, Chivas USA End in Stalemate
CARSON, Calif. - Carlos Ãlvarez finished a late ball through the box in his Major League Soccer debut and Chivas USA overcame a controversial first-half red card to claim a 1-1 draw with the LA Galaxy in the first SuperClasico showdown of the season.
Jack McBean had given LA the lead in the 83rd minute, but Ãlvarez tapped home Carlos Borja's low cross through the box in the 89th to give Chivas a share of the points.
The Goats had gamely weathered center back JoaquÃ-n VelÃ¡zquez's 40th-minute ejection and held off the dominant Galaxy's second-half forays until McBean got his head to a deflected ball from Mike Magee. Chivas goalkeeper Dan Kennedy got his hand to the ball but couldn't keep it out of his net.
Kennedy and his backline had been strong in thwarting LA's attack, even more so after VelÃ¡zquez was shown straight late in the first half, though the exactly ultimately failed to make the man advantage pay.
It was just the second time in the last nine meetings that Chivas (1-1-1) had avoided losing to their cross-stadium rival, which has lost just once in the series since 2007. LA hold 16-4-6 record in MLS regular-season games against Chivas.
The Galaxy had the better chances throughout - Jose Villarreal hit the crossbar with a header following a 31st-minute free kick and Mike Magee nodded a cross off the left post five minutes into the second half.
The game was chippy from the start, and nearly half of the field players spent time on the turf in the first half, with further dustups in the second half. Minda departed with a hamstring strain in the 18th minute, about five minutes after knocking knees with Magee, and the Goats lost another starter when referee Ricardo Salazar showed VelÃ¡zquez the red card after a collision with Clark.
Clark slid to win a ball in midfield, just beating Velazquez, who dragged his feet as Clark continued to kick out and fell to the ground. It was a questionable foul at best, but Salazar quickly pulled a yellow card and was reaching into his back pocket for the red card before VelÃ¡zquez's reaction.
At halftime the yellow card was rescinded, indicating VelÃ¡zquez was sent off for the altercation, leaving the Goats without the two most important pieces of their defensive spine.
Chivas coach José Luis "ChelÃ-s" SÃ¡nchez SolÃ¡ quickly pulled forward Julio Morales, who had made no imprint, for defender Carlos Borja, who went to the left side of the Goats' three-man backline, joining Bobby Burling and Mario de Luna. ChelÃ-s then used his final substitution at halftime, giving first-round draft pick Ãlvarez his debut in place of Correa.
The Galaxy also made a halftime change, replacing Clark with defender Leonardo, shifting DeLaGarza to right back and Sean Franklin up into the midfield. Michael Stephens and McBean came on later to push the attack.
However, Chivas took advantage of a Galaxy defensive breakdown, with Ãvila feeding Borja down the right-hand channel, who played a pinpoint low cross to the far post for Ãlvarez to tap-in, giving the Rojiblancos a hard-earneed draw.
The LA Galaxy will remain at home when they host the Colorado Rapids on March 23, while Chivas are back in action a day later when they head to Chicago on March 24.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2013
- Rapids Goalkeeper Matt Pickens out 3-4 Months with Fractured Forearm - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Reserves Open MLS Reserve League Campaign with 1-0 Win over Sounders FC - Portland Timbers
- MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 0 vs. Portland Timbers 1 - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy, Chivas USA End in Stalemate - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Chivas USA Ties the LA Galaxy, 1-1, in First Leg of SuperClásico - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- FC Dallas Reserves Fall 3-1 to Dynamo Reserves - FC Dallas
- Late Strike from Kenny Cooper Hands FC Dallas 3-2 Win over Houston Dynamo - FC Dallas
- Cooper Goal Lifts FC Dallas in 90th Minute - Houston Dynamo
- Timbers Earn Draw in Seattle with Late Wallace Header - Portland Timbers
- Seattle plays to a draw - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Reserves Down Colorado Rapids Reserves 2-1 - Real Salt Lake
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles Galaxy Stories
- Jonathan dos Santos Named to Mexican National Team Roster for Upcoming U.S. Tour Matches in Santa Clara and Arlington
- LA Galaxy Sign Midfielder Efrain Alvarez
- Know Before You Go: LA Galaxy vs. Portland Timbers - Sunday, March 4
- LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Justin Vom Steeg
- LA Galaxy Announce 2018 Theme Nights and Promotional Schedule