Kobi Henry Called up to Senior U.S. Men's National Team
Orange County SC 17-year-old defender Kobi Henry has been included in the senior United States Men's National Team roster ahead of the upcoming December camp and friendly against Bosnia and Herzegovina in Los Angeles, CA. This is Henry's first call up to the USMNT coached by Gregg Berhalter.
"It's an honor to represent my country at the highest level and I am ready to compete and give my all during this camp," Henry said. "I want to say thank you to my family and OCSC for providing me with guidance and support to get to this stage."
Henry was part of an OCSC squad that capped off a historic run to the club's first league title by defeating Eastern Conference champion Tampa Bay Rowdies in the 2021 USL Championship Final. The Florida-native was an unused substitute for the Final held in St. Petersburg, FL, not far from where he grew up and trained during his childhood.
During OCSC's playoff journey, Henry missed one match due to a U.S. U-20 MNT call-up by newly-appointed head coach Mikey Varas for the Revelations Cup in Mexico. Henry made two starts in a draw against Colombia and a loss against Mexico before returning to Orange County.
Prior to his call up to the U-20 team, Henry started the final five regular season matches for OCSC. Henry was one of the central figures during that stretch where OCSC not only won the five matches, but conceded just one goal. Henry did make an appearance during the Western Conference Quarterfinal adding three clearances and two interceptions.
"We could not be any prouder of Kobi's US Men National Team call up, especially at just 17 years old," President of Soccer Operations Oliver Wyss said. "Kobi is the pedigree of the top talented players that we are developing in our professional environment for the highest level of play. He is succeeding in all aspects and after an incredible season for us is being rewarded for his stellar performances with an USL Championship and now the US Men National Team selection."
In the regular season, Henry made 18 appearances and contributed to an experienced defensive corps led by former USMNT player Michael Orozco with 53 clearances, 26 interceptions and 15 blocks. He also scored his first career professional goal with a glancing header against Oakland Roots SC.
The friendly will be played at Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, CA and will be broadcast on FOX SPORTS 1 on Saturday, December 18 at 5 PM PST. This precedes the January World Cup qualifying window where the USMNT are currently in second place in the CONCACAF Octagonal standings.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 3, 2021
- SD Loyal 2022 Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now - San Diego Loyal
- Academy Check In: Sacramento's Youth Squads Prep for Tournament Weekend - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Goalkeeper Coach Matt Glaeser Named Head Coach of Forward Madison FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roots Launch First-Ever Silent Auction Fundraiser - Oakland Roots
- Energy FC to Suspend Play in 2022, Resume in 2023 - OKC Energy FC
- Gomez Earns First U.S. Men's National Team Call Up - Louisville City FC
- Kobi Henry Called up to Senior U.S. Men's National Team - Orange County SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orange County SC Stories
- Epicenter of the OC's Soccer Culture Adds OCSC Open Tryout to Its Pedigree
- Orange County SC Sign Striker Erick "El Cubo" Torres
- Orange County SC Announces Full 2022 USL Championship Schedule
- Orange County SC Adds Midfielder Kevin Partida for 2022 Season
- Orange County SC Signs Defender Danilo Acosta