Energy FC to Suspend Play in 2022, Resume in 2023
Oklahoma City Public Schools (OKCPS) recently notified the club of their plans to upgrade the infrastructure at Taft Stadium. The extensive project will require the removal and upgrade of the artificial turf playing surface, replacement of the athletic track and addition of modern LED lights.
We appreciate our partnership with OKCPS on the use of Taft Stadium for our professional soccer team, Oklahoma City Energy FC, and fully support the project. In reviewing the supplied dates, the OKCPS construction timeline directly overlaps with our soccer season.
After much deliberation, we have decided our best option is to temporarily suspend play for one season. While not ideal, this will afford us a unique opportunity to plan for the resumption of play in 2023 and beyond as we look forward to moving into a new facility in the future built multipurpose outdoor event venue which will accommodate Energy FC.
We appreciate the loyal support we receive from our fans, partners and this great community. As we focus on the future of our club, we will work to minimize the impact of this decision by continuing community engagement and fan interactions. We ask for your patience and understanding as we take a short pause and reprogram for the 2023 season and beyond.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from December 3, 2021
- SD Loyal 2022 Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now - San Diego Loyal
- Academy Check In: Sacramento's Youth Squads Prep for Tournament Weekend - Sacramento Republic FC
- Republic FC Goalkeeper Coach Matt Glaeser Named Head Coach of Forward Madison FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Roots Launch First-Ever Silent Auction Fundraiser - Oakland Roots
- Energy FC to Suspend Play in 2022, Resume in 2023 - OKC Energy FC
- Gomez Earns First U.S. Men's National Team Call Up - Louisville City FC
- Kobi Henry Called up to Senior U.S. Men's National Team - Orange County SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.